News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

how to make any theme default?

Started by Nitro, July 12, 2005, 03:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitro

maybe that is not the right question. what i want to do is to remove the default theme and install any other theme and that should be the default theme. what'd be the implications of doing this?
i am assuming i have to just ftp everything to the default folder oeverwriting anything that comes from the theme in mind to make it as default.

any comments please? thank you!!!!!
MPF Rocks!!!

dtm.exe

Not a good idea.  The SMF Default Theme is the basis of all themes.  You'll run into A LOT of problems if you attempt to replace the SMF Default Theme with a custom theme.

-Dan The Man

Kindred

that is a BAD idea...

You can set a theme as default (and unchangeable) in your member settings and they'll never see the difference from the user end...

The problems with what you propose:
1) If SMF upgrades, you will lose any template changes.
2) Many mods search for specific code that exists in the default templates. Most alternate themes use different code...   many of your mods will fail
3) not all (heck, not even most) templates are updated in every theme...

So, if you want a default theme, you can set it for all your members and set it so they are not allowed to change it...  all without futzing with the basic setup of the board.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Nitro

the theme i want to make it default is the bubble theme, but what kind of problems would it come up? is is possible just to replace the main index and the graphics?
MPF Rocks!!!

Nitro

Quote from: Kindred on July 12, 2005, 03:59:37 PM
that is a BAD idea...

You can set a theme as default (and unchangeable) in your member settings and they'll never see the difference from the user end...

The problems with what you propose:
1) If SMF upgrades, you will lose any template changes.
2) Many mods search for specific code that exists in the default templates. Most alternate themes use different code...   many of your mods will fail
3) not all (heck, not even most) templates are updated in every theme...

So, if you want a default theme, you can set it for all your members and set it so they are not allowed to change it...  all without futzing with the basic setup of the board.

oh i see. thank ya'll!
MPF Rocks!!!

dtm.exe

If you're doing this so that mods are affected by your custom theme, this is achievable WITHOUT overwriting the SMF Default Theme.

-Dan The Man

dtm.exe

Advertisement: