News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Maybe silly question, using different URL to FTP etc

Started by corena, January 31, 2011, 01:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corena

Hello,

Am in a partnership and this is how things work.

My friend has website with his own FTP and URL.  I will host a forum, but we want to be able to use my FTP to have the forum installed on but use his URL.

So he has his website with his FTP and URL like:
hxxp:myfriend.com [nonactive]

And then we have our SMF forum located on my FTP but with his URL set-up like:
hxxp:myfriend.com/forum [nonactive] (or hxxp:myfriend.com/index.php?action= [nonactive])

Is this possible and how do you set-this up.

Bare in mind very new to this stuff.

Illori

you wish to have more then one ftp account with different folder access? you would have to set this up in the control panel provided to you by your host. this has nothing to do with the way smf works if i understand your question correctly.

corena

So he has his website with his FTP and URL like:
hxxp:myfriend.com [nonactive]

his website is on hxxp:myfriend.com [nonactive] (just an example) on his own FTP and URL.

And then we a SMF forum located on my FTP (not his) but with his URL set-up like:
hxxp:myfriend.com/forum [nonactive] (or hxxp:myfriend.com/index.php?action= [nonactive])

So we want to set-up a SMF forum on my FTP but use a URL this is in use on a different FTP and website.

How can I be more specific?

Ok to new reply, I don't want two folder set-ups.

To put simple, I want to install SMF forum on my FTP but use a different URL (myfriend.com) that's located on a different FTP/Website.

Hope you understand, very new to this.

CapadY

Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

corena

No,

FTP1: Main website with main URL set-up as hxxp:myfriend.com [nonactive]
FTP2: SMF forum Install with URL of hxxp:myfriend.com/forum [nonactive] (or whatever sub link SMF produces for it)

This is how we want it.

Illori

so ftp2 is on a different host/server so you are paying for hosting the /forum separately from the main website?

corena

Quote from: Illori on January 31, 2011, 01:49:22 PM
so ftp2 is on a different host/server so you are paying for hosting the /forum separately from the main website?

Yes and yes.

The main website and forum would be two separate FTP's paid separately. The main website is on one FTP with the main url, the forum is on my separate FTP which we will like to use the same url but with the sub url SMF will create (myfriend.com/index.php?action=forum)

Illori

usually it is not possible to use a sub folder of a domain with a separate server, you would redirect the root of the domain to another host/server but not parts from what I have seen.

corena

Okay so not possible then? bummer?

Maybe someone else knows if it's possible?

Illori

you could try googling it, or asking your host they would know best if it is possible at all.

CapadY

No, it is not possible to use the same url at different servers, unless they are physicaly linked.

What you want is an url on one server and a sub of the same url on another server. Not possible.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

corena

Yeah, want URL on one ftp server, and then a sub URL of that URL on another ftp server.

I checked on google cant find much apart from one person saying it's possible but no guide as to how.

Advertisement: