News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Test and "production" site...

Started by henrik1782, February 02, 2011, 07:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

henrik1782

Is it possible to make a sandbox for my SMF installation? I have copied the SMF installation, that is public, to another directory and was wandering if I can install/uninstall mods edit code and then just copy the the final work to the public directory.
Are there any thing else to consider or is it really that simpel. I am conserned about those mod that affects the MySQL DB.
My favorite mods: Forum Firewall, httBL, MessagePreviewOnHover, BoardHover Mod, VB Style Board Index, Separate Replies and Views Column, Realtime clock by Joker, ENotify, Topic Solved.

sawz

you can setup another instance of your forum for testing purposes. when your satisfied with what you have done, you'll have to re do it on your production forum. swapping files etc around isn't a good idea.
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Safest way to do a sandbox install would be to make it use a database of it's own, or AT LEAST different prefixes, so that any edits you do to it won't affect your live site. Other than that, it makes no real difference if it's in a different folder, subdomain or a domain of it's own - All is good :)

Installing mods though might not be as straight forward, as any mod that makes DB edits would then make those edits to the sandbox DB, and you wouldn't be easily able to carry them over to your live site.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: