News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Error log - horror

Started by Groovy™, February 05, 2011, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groovy™

Just randomly come up with the idea that otrovorim error log via ftp and I have nothing to see ... throws error every second forum and of course we are heavily loaded ... it's a settings.php
the error log is over a million lines

[06-Feb-2011 00:50:48] PHP Warning:  Unexpected character in input:  ''' (ASCII=39) state=1 in /home/security/public_html/Settings.php on line 69
[06-Feb-2011 00:50:48] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant utf8 - assumed 'utf8' in /home/security/public_html/Settings.php on line 70

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Kays

Is that the Settings.php file for SMF?

Can you post from about lines 67 to line 72 from that file.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Groovy™

That this is the settings.php from the SMF.
There is no line ... there is only 62 to 70 ... here you will copy from 61 to 70

# Make sure the paths are correct... at least try to fix them.
if (!file_exists($boarddir) && file_exists(dirname(__FILE__) . '/agreement.txt'))
$boarddir = dirname(__FILE__);
if (!file_exists($sourcedir) && file_exists($boarddir . '/Sources'))
$sourcedir = $boarddir . '/Sources';
if (!file_exists($cachedir) && file_exists($boarddir . '/cache'))
$cachedir = $boarddir . '/cache';

$db_character_set = 'utf8';
?>

Kays

That looks  as it should be. Is the error always those at those two lines.

I wonder if it's a server problem.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Groovy™

I do not believe that the problem to the server, many users who use the same hosting a smf on it (which is in UTF8) and have no problems ...

To always a problem with these two lines!
I do not know what I was wise to do

Kays

Judging by the error, the server is seeing an extra comma (') on line 69. This can also be caused by a misplaced comma on the previous line. The second error is probably caused by the first one since the server thinks the commas are out of sequence.

But I can't see a stray comma in there. ::)

Did you add that last line? I know that there was a bug where that line had to be added manually sometimes.

My Mods

Groovy™

really do not know what to do .... I never added anything in settings.php ....
I do not know if this could be related to the server, but I think it is up to them ...
whether to reinstall a forum (I put a fresh install of SMF) and to return the data through a phpmjadmin?
or I put in a November settings.php?

SlammedDime

Can you attach your settings.php file to your next post (remove the database, db name and db password of course)
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Groovy™

settings.php - attachment

delete user ,pw , on mysql

SlammedDime

Hrm... characters all look okay to me

Only suggestion I would have is to erase the $db_character_set line and type it in again and save the file and upload it.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Kays

I think I see it. there's a missing single quote on line 34. :D

$boardurl = 'http://censure.domain; # URL to your forum's folder. (without the trailing /!)

should be:

$boardurl = 'http://censure.domain'; # URL to your forum's folder. (without the trailing /!)

My Mods

Groovy™

I understand you best kajs ...

What do I need to add / edit now ... that the error no longer appears ?

########## Forum Info ##########
$mbname = 'cenzure '; # The name of your forum.
$language = 'serbian_latin-utf8'; # The default language file set for the forum.
$boardurl = 'http://censure.domain; # URL to your forum's folder. (without the trailing /!)
$webmaster_email = '[email protected]'; # Email address to send emails from. (like [email protected].)
$cookiename = 'censure'; # Name of the cookie to set for authentication.

I accidentally deleted " ' " in boardurl - it was already ' in place;)
censure - link my forum
modify just as it should be in line 34 and

Kays

Just replace that line with what I posted.

$boardurl = 'http://censure.domain';      # URL to your forum's folder. (without the trailing /!)

If you're looking at it with a text editor with syntax highlighting. You'll notice that line as it is looks a bit funky.

My Mods

Groovy™

kays as much as we try to solve the problem ... it still prints the error log 69 and 70 line ....

Will I reinstal some help?

Kays

Drat, that should of done it.

Re-installing is a bit drastic. Try replacing Settings.php with Settings_bak.php. Be sure to save a backup of Settings.php somewhere first. Also check line 34 of Settings_bak.php for that missing single quote.

My Mods

Groovy™

I obeyed you, and I did as you said ... unfortunately the same again ...
Now we error_log occupies 30 MB ... which is a lot for one day
I contacted the hosting and they told me that no one ever complained about it ...
but my forum is working well ... not slow down anywhere ...

Kays

You can delete that error log. It will just rebuild.

I'm stating to wonder if you're editing the correct file. When I tried to remove that single quotation mark on line 34 on a test forum I got a parser error. Any chance you might of removed it accidentally when removing the database info.

My Mods

Groovy™

I deleted the whole forum, and before that preserve backup (phpmjadmin) and now I put a fresh install of SMF rc4, then I convert it from HTML entities into UTF-8 characters ... and now there is nothing in the error log though ... 'll wait a while to see what details will be ... thanks:)

Kays

Cool, that probably did it. :)

I'm glad that you are comfortable restoring the database and did that.

My Mods

Advertisement: