Admin / Censored words access for Global Moderators???

Started by MCK, February 06, 2011, 04:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCK

Hi,

My Global Moderators had access to the Censored Words page in Admin when the forum was on 1.1.12. I upgraded the forum to SMF 2 RC4 and now the Global Moderators can't see this section.

I do not want to give them Administrate Forum rights but I think that's the only way to get the Admin / Posts & Topics / Censored Words to show up for them.

Can you kindly let me know if there is a way to add a specific permission to Censored Words and then allow my Global Moderators to see this page by giving them this permission?

Thanks!!!

Arantor

It's one of the changes in RC4 to use admin_forum rather than moderate_forum.

As one of the people actively part of the discussion on it, here's what happened and why: there isn't full sanitisation of the incoming data, so that raw HTML can be used as part of the censoring - as a number of users do. (And no, using the html bbcode doesn't solve the problem, it still has to be unsanitised during posting to make it successfully handle HTML later.)

So the choice was: cut back its functionality, or leave its functionality untouched but remove the security concern of it being a vector for moderators to post material that could compromise the security of the forum.

Since there are users who already use raw HTML in censoring, the choice seemed fairly clear to make it admin-only, short of rewriting how the censor works (which at this stage is probably too big a job for what is otherwise a release candidate)

You could, in theory, revert back to the code in RC3 in both Admin.php where the page is defined and ManagePosts.php where the censor is configured, but honestly, how often do your moderators need to add new censor terms?

MCK

Thanks for the long explanation. I understand. Guess I'm a lazy admin... ;-) Will tell the moderator I'll take care of this from now on.

Siirist

Quote from: MCK on February 06, 2011, 06:31:08 AM
Thanks for the long explanation. I understand. Guess I'm a lazy admin... ;-) Will tell the moderator I'll take care of this from now on.

If the answer solved your issue, please mark this topic as "Solved".
Thank You,
Cloud
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

MCK

Oops. Sorry. How do I do that? Just put Solved on the topic?

Siirist

Quote from: MCK on February 06, 2011, 08:16:34 AM
Oops. Sorry. How do I do that? Just put Solved on the topic?

Mark Topic Solved is in the bottom left corner of topic.
I took care of it for you.

Cloud
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

MCK

Siirist

Needed information:

Advertisement: