News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 final template features (big question)

Started by frozenas, February 06, 2011, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frozenas

Hi everybody.
I was looking for a nice template, which is more advanced, than simple css, maybe like most of IPB themes, and I haven't found any like that for SMF. Mostly there are simple css templates, which doesn't consist any of Java, flash or any other advanced features.
Since the situation is like that, my bet is, that SMF's core restricts something or doesn't let to do something, because I guess somebody would've thought about creating such a template. Almost every template in IPB has such features, I doubt, that one CMS and the other has people, who need and doesn't need that features strictly.

So anyway, the question is this (if I'm right about this): will there be any such template changes, that might look better and have more features in the final release?
Using RC3 at the moment, and since I heard, that the final release should be pretty soon, I'd like to get ready for it. :)

Antechinus

We are not going to use Flash at all in any SMF release ever. SMF already uses javascript for several functions. There's a bit of Ajax in places too.

ARG01

If SMF begins to add flash then they may as well open a completely separate support site because they will need the extra space. In the older days of Tiny Portal and TPM there were a few, very talented theme designers that often used flash in the headers, footers and login areas. This caused a huge issue when it came to support as the designers themselves we not online constantly and the majority of volunteers knew very little, if anything about flash. I am fairly sure it is the same way today.
Not to mention that flash can be a security risk at times. It looks nice but it's just not worth the trouble.

;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Antechinus

And it's a black hole for SEO and using Flash for menus reduces functionality.

Arantor

Not to mention cutting off Apple mobile devices that choose not to support Flash.

ARG01

Quote from: Antechinus on February 06, 2011, 04:02:28 PM
And it's a black hole for SEO and using Flash for menus reduces functionality.

And, I use a small flash menu on my site and it often doesn't function properly, sometimes not at all. I will be replacing it with standard buttons soon.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Antechinus

* Antechinus totally hates Flash menus. Hates 'em I does.

NanoSector

Quote from: Arantor on February 06, 2011, 04:34:42 PM
Not to mention cutting off Apple Nintendo mobile devices that choose not to support Flash.
Apple supports Flash perfectly fine.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Matthew K.

Even if so, we get the idea. Bad SEO, Bad functionality, hard to edit/use in most scenarios unless you have the right tools, not compatible with iPhones/iPod Touches and so fourth.
Quote from: Simple Series team on February 06, 2011, 04:58:41 PM
Not to mention cutting off Apple Nintendo mobile devices that choose not to support Flash.

Antechinus

Flash? Pfft. Apple is supporting CSS3 and HTML5 now. Who needs Flash? It's only IE that needs Flash any more. Everyone else is years ahead.

NanoSector

Quote from: Antechinus on February 06, 2011, 05:06:50 PM
Flash? Pfft. Apple is supporting CSS3 and HTML5 now. Who needs Flash? It's only IE that needs Flash any more. Everyone else is years ahead.
Yeah, that's true. MAP3 is using the user's plugin, and tries to avoid Flash ::)
Not only for the security reasons; also for the sake of it.

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 06, 2011, 05:05:42 PM
Even if so, we get the idea. Bad SEO, Bad functionality, hard to edit/use in most scenarios unless you have the right tools, not compatible with iPhones/iPod Touches and so fourth.
Quote from: Simple Series team on February 06, 2011, 04:58:41 PM
It is perfectly compatible with my Apple iPod Touch 4G.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Matthew K.

I apologize for being wrong about iPod Touches then. The point still remains. And jQuery is a fairly good replacement too that doesn't ruin SEO and is easy to use and modify.

Arantor

Antechinus

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 06, 2011, 05:10:02 PM
I apologize for being wrong about iPod Touches then. The point still remains. And jQuery is a fairly good replacement too that doesn't ruin SEO and is easy to use and modify.

Yup. We're seriously thinking of making 2.1 include jQuery by default.

frozenas

Well, maybe Flash wasn't the best choice as an example...
Anyway, the point is, that SMF won't become something near IPB in the final release, or won't change anything at all in theme design... By which I don't mean anything bad, just saying, how I understand it.

Arantor

There will be no significant changes other than bug fixes between 2.0 RC4 and 2.0 final. Hence the term 'feature locked'.

Antechinus

Yup. At this stage we're just doing the absolute minimum amount of cleaning up. Anything fancier will have to wait for the next version.

Advertisement: