News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Security Question

Started by ACAMS, February 06, 2011, 06:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACAMS

Is there a way to disable the Additional Information for new members signing up to use my forum.

I have SMF 2.0 RC3 and if I could block that, then human spammers would show up instantly and could be banned.

It would also discourage human spammers from signing up, because they can't put ads in their signature until they are members and have to edit it in.

青山 素子

Turn on postgount permissions and create a new postcount group at the number of posts you want to allow profile editing capability. Explicitly allow the ability to edit the profile information to that group. Disable the permission to do so on the "noobie" group.

This works for all versions of SMF.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

ACAMS

I already did that, but new members can still join and fill in their signature with spam, list their spamming web site and ALL other spam that is allowed like facebook and twitter that my regular members get.

I want it to NOT show on registeration, and I have limited the first group to 2 posts before they can edit their signature and such.

This should be STANDARD security!

EDIT:

I want it to be like THIS site.....NOTHING but email, user name and password!

青山 素子

What I described is exactly how it is handled on this site. Run a permissions report, you might have that permission being added from some other group, perhaps the regular members one.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

ACAMS

OK, I found out how......It is in Profile Fields, I needed to uncheck "Allow at Registration"

I looked until my eyes crossed, and just found it!

THANKS.......all is fixed now and since I have already done what you said, spammers will have to go to a lot of trouble to signup, just to be banned shortly thereafter!

Advertisement: