News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Minimum age on registration field absent (Core based theme)

Started by I Agree, February 07, 2011, 08:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I Agree

Hi again everyone,

Been spending a lot of time in here lately (will have to make a personal donation someday)

With the minimum age upon registration option enabled. On a Core theme, the 'registeree' does not seem to be given an option to convey their age. Upon completion they're told they're not old enough (13 in our case)

I don't know what I was expecting, but ideally I'd like the users age/birthday profile info to be filled in on the registration form, and probably not up to modification from that point forward. Might do a weird layout if possible, like dd/yy/mm to throw off bots.

PS: Also planning to add 18+ boards for more adult (less formal logged in only) discussion. But figured I'd just hack the theme to do that. Unless there is a better way ???

Illori

even if you get a minimum age working, it is too easy for someone to change the year until the site lets them register. if someone wants to register on your site they will do what is needed to get access. the age field might work better as anti-bot then anti-young people.

I Agree

Quote from: Illori on February 08, 2011, 05:51:51 AM
even if you get a minimum age working, it is too easy for someone to change the year until the site lets them register. if someone wants to register on your site they will do what is needed to get access. the age field might work better as anti-bot then anti-young people.

I don't have a problem with that. It's just there to make it plain that there is an understanding.

Try telling the same thing to the purveyors of every "Mature" or R rated trailer on the internet which requires you input your DoB.

In my case, I just want to convey to youngsters that they're not welcome (both because as an admin I don't want to deal with them, and because parents have so many varying opinions about what is others appropriate obligation to their children) and if they want to post in the forum, they should act like they're not their age. Though officially of course they are strictly not allowed.

Also clues people in that there are features that depend upon their age settings from square one. I don't want to have a formal agreement, because I think that's BS mainly. But I do want this minimum understanding in place.

PS: So is this feature totally non-functional? I should probably look at the Curve theme at this point...

Matthew K.

Well, here's a question. Try putting SMF Curve as the default theme, then go to Register, does it prompt you to confirm your age?

Joker™

SO, basically you want a date of birth field at registration page and if age is not 13 yrs then user will be shown some kind of error?
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

I Agree

Quote from: Joker™ on February 13, 2011, 02:49:15 AM
SO, basically you want a date of birth field at registration page and if age is not 13 yrs then user will be shown some kind of error?

Basically I'm just curious why the feature available in the administration panel is not working.

Checked Curve BTW. Feature appears to be broken there as well.

I suppose the DoB field should explain the minimum age. Then not an error per se, but an explanation, and presumably the consent procedure that is outlined in the admin panel. Even though personally I would not be interested in that myself, it is part of the admin setup.

Does this work in 1.x?

PS: These settings are under Registration -> Settings.

Also, at present, after filling out the registration form RC4 says...

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, but users under the age of 13 are not allowed to register on this forum.

Advertisement: