News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

500 Internal Server error after mod install

Started by NHWD, February 08, 2011, 01:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHWD

This happened before but I solved it by switching hosts. Now it's happening again.. I was trying to install a mod and it asked for ftp permissions to edit some file and it was supposed to give a list of  files it was going to edit but it only showed /home.

I went searching around this forum for an answer and couldn't figure it out so I tried checking my paths setting the correct permissions and it still didn't work. So I looked around someone and saw that I should create a temp folder and set it to 777. I did that and finally it didn't need ftp permission so I tried installing. It gave me this 500 error and I tried checking the permissions of my public_html folder and it's 0755 and everything else looks correct so I don't know what's wrong.. oh and there was no backup made of the mod

NHWD

There's no point in making the backups because all it did was change the permissions? I just can't figure it out.

Illori

this is before the mod did any changes? have you asked your host to look into the issue? usually 500+ errors are server errors and not something you can fix unless you run the server.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Change your public_html's permission to 755 and try to visit the forum?

By the way, which mod was it? (Just a guess, is it simple portal?)

SlammedDime

Quote from: Illori on February 08, 2011, 01:39:24 PM
this is before the mod did any changes? have you asked your host to look into the issue? usually 500+ errors are server errors and not something you can fix unless you run the server.
Not really... 500 Errors could be due to a *possible* misconfiguration of the server; but basically the server was trying to handle a request that it was not able to successfully fulfil (could be an invalid .htaccess file, invalid file permissions on some files (running php under suPHP, most hosts will not allow 777 perms and the server will throw a 500 error), core dumps due to bad code, or code itself setting a 500 error.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Advertisement: