What to Expect When I Upgrade from 1.1.8?

Started by vristang, February 08, 2011, 02:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vristang

My apologies if I have this in the wrong place.

I would like to move to 2.x, but of course don't want to lose a bunch of data in the process.
I did try a search, but couldn't get terms right to narrow the results down enough to mean anything...

I am assuming there will be little issues with the content in the existing threads, and that all existing boards will still exist after the upgrade?

Should I delete/uninstall the mods I am currently using before upgrade, or does it matter?

I currently have customized my theme, will that carry over to the software?

My plan is to simply perform a backup, and run the 2.0 RC4 download.
Is it really going to be that simple?

The board I am speaking of is listed in my signature.

Thanks,
jason
My Forum - www.SeattleBlueOvals.com
Theme: PremiumMGC
SMF 2.0.2
Hosted by - LunarPages

Matthew K.

Hey there!

Doing an upgrade can be very simple, if done correctly.

If you haven't already checked out the upgrade manual, it's a good idea to read through it [Upgrading SMF].

Furthermore, yes - You should uninstall all mods before upgrading so you can minimize any issues that could arise after upgrading.
The customized theme could possibly carry over, however, you'll most likely need to either redo the theme for SMF 2.0 RC4, or find a new one.

All information in the database will be saved, such as posts, members, topics, personal message, settings, and so fourth.

It's a good idea to backup the files ahead of time, but in the upgrading process there is an option to backup the old copy of SMF database tables.

Best Regards,
Labradoodle-360

kat

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 08, 2011, 02:57:27 PMIt's a good idea to backup the files ahead of time

It's not just a good idea...

It's IMPERATIVE!

Two reasons.

1) Obvious. ;)

2) If you decide that you want to go back to v1.1.12, for some reason, the only way to do it will be to restore your backup.

Matthew K.

You mean go back to 1.1.8? :P
Quote from: K@ on February 08, 2011, 04:10:46 PM
Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 08, 2011, 02:57:27 PMIt's a good idea to backup the files ahead of time

It's not just a good idea...

It's IMPERATIVE!

Two reasons.

1) Obvious. ;)

2) If you decide that you want to go back to v1.1.12, for some reason, the only way to do it will be to restore your backup.

Advertisement: