Miasma

SN

?

it says "© 2011 Encide | Powered by SMF " at the bottom

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: SN on February 09, 2011, 04:53:04 AM
?

Yes, and that is not what it is supposed to say. It is supposed to say (at least)

Powered by SMF | SMF © 2006–2010, Simple Machines LLC
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

SN

Quote from: LexArma on February 09, 2011, 05:02:31 AM
?

Yes, and that is not what it is supposed to say. It is supposed to say (at least)

Powered by SMF | SMF © 2006–2010, Simple Machines LLC

ah ok, my bad

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Oh, and Miasma - Thanks for the report. :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Miasma

The only thing you're allowed to change about copyright is the SMF version.

They only have "powered by...", no "SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC".

I'm sure everyone would be happy to only have short "powered by SMF" sentence in footer, but's it's not allowed.

N3RVE

More details regarding the license can be found in the license file distributed along with SMF.
http://www.simplemachines.org/about/license.php

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

SN

Quote from: [n3rve] on February 09, 2011, 07:19:57 AM

More details regarding the license can be found in the license file distributed along with SMF.

-[n3rve]

It's not my site lol

my Copyright is still there in full :)

N3RVE

Quote from: SN on February 09, 2011, 10:25:28 AM
Quote from: [n3rve] on February 09, 2011, 07:19:57 AM

It's not my site lol

my Copyright is still there in full :)

I know :) I was responding to your question about why "Powered by SMF " is not acceptable.

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Axertion

We are a respectful community that had no wrong intentions, however reporting it to the host before contacting us directly was a bit too much don't you think?

Our site was down the majority of the day because of something so stupid.  5 extra words doesn't benefit anyone (although we have no issue displaying it)

Next time, try resolving these issues with the individual before having the site taken completely offline.

krazytim

Hello, I am the owner of encide.net [nofollow].

I woke up this morning with a bunch of forum members notifying me that the website was down and my host sent me a copyright notification.
I just changed the footer back, but I honestly didn't realize that was an issue. I respect this forum software, and I have no issue complying with
the rules, but I wish someone would have made an effort to contact me or another member first before trying to report the website. Now my
host is suspicious of me over something that could have been resolved by a quick email directly to me.

@Miasma - How did you come across encide (just out of curiosity)?

Jakob Fel

I do agree with your statement. I think the marketing team should have tried to have the host contact you before locking your forum.
Freelance writer and advocate for security, privacy & DRM-free distribution
Support and Community Management at SMFNew Free Forum Hosting

krazytim

It wasn't even just my forum, all of the domains on my hosting account gave the same "Account Suspended" message.
Some of my clients and important contacts saw this message and now I have to explain what happened. I love SMF,
and there are many wonderful people involved in this project, but who ever reported and handled this was very
unprofessional and careless. I will reserve judgement towards the community because I know it only takes one
person to do make a poor decision, but again: this was not handled the way it should have been.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Quote from: krazytim on February 11, 2011, 04:54:00 PM
Hello, I am the owner of encide.net.

I woke up this morning with a bunch of forum members notifying me that the website was down and my host sent me a copyright notification.
I just changed the footer back, but I honestly didn't realize that was an issue. I respect this forum software, and I have no issue complying with
the rules, but I wish someone would have made an effort to contact me or another member first before trying to report the website. Now my
host is suspicious of me over something that could have been resolved by a quick email directly to me.

@Miasma - How did you come across encide (just out of curiosity)?
I was the one who contacted the host. I'll PM you shortly regarding it.

Quote from: Jaekob Caed on February 11, 2011, 04:57:33 PM
I do agree with your statement. I think the marketing team should have tried to have the host contact you before locking your forum.
If you turn on whois privacy, I wouldn't make an effort to register on the forum, then find the admin and then wait until the user replies. On the other hand, even if whois privacy is not turned on, the hosts normally gives a minimum of 24 hours before it suspends the account. If it doesn't, I would say tough luck. The contact details regarding the user are more up to date with the hosts rather than the domain details from the registrar as you hardly look at them after you create it and just renew it once a year whereas majority of the users set their billing to monthly or even if set to yearly, they generally create ticket once a month.

krazytim

I was given a copyright notice from my host 7 hours ago. From what I can tell, they shut down all of the websites on my hosting account at the time of or within an hour or two after contacting me. I was asleep, but I wasn't even given 24 hours to correct it anyways.

My host told me they will contact you to make sure everything is up to standards so that this doesn't happen again.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

I guess everything is sorted and explained properly :)

Just a word of advice for everyone who have done or are going to do any alterations to the copyright in future, knowingly or unknowingly: If you want to avoid instant suspension, then contact your host and ask them their policies regarding copyright breach and how much time do they give you to fix the issue. Otherwise, you may end up in a few uncalled issues. :)

krazytim

Thanks Flamer. This issue is resolved on the SMF end, still finding out why my host didn't contact me first.

I have been with them since March of 2006, so just about 5 years now. They shouldn't have acted before contacting me.

青山 素子

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on February 11, 2011, 05:50:59 PM
Just a word of advice for everyone who have done or are going to do any alterations to the copyright in future, knowingly or unknowingly: If you want to avoid instant suspension, then contact your host and ask them their policies regarding copyright breach and how much time do they give you to fix the issue. Otherwise, you may end up in a few uncalled issues. :)

Even better, don't use the scam called "registration protection" or "private registration". Aside from looking somewhat suspicious (I generally won't do business with a company that feels it has to hide its domain WHOIS info for this reason), it also means that the registrant listed is the legal owner of the domain. Yes, it means you don't own the domain should something happen to your registrar. I recall back when RegisterFly shut down. Those hiding their information were left dangling while those who could match the WHOIS were able to get their domain handled.

Oh, and a simple DMCA notice to the "protection" company will usually get your info unmasked within 24 hours. It's really not worth the cost if they will be so willing to do that and if it also makes them the legal domain owners.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

eyo

Paracelsus

Actually, there should be a form for this, since there isn´t:

http://serbenfiquista.com/forum/index.php

The site above has illegally removed their copyright.

Advertisement: