News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

notCaptcha

Started by fr3aker, February 11, 2011, 12:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamsterdaddy

Guys, this software cannot be beaten by a bot, that is if you change the pics. The Russian X-rumer mob "broke" the original default images, they shared the files with other spammers and their software can defeat it. The spammers have support forums like we do, and they update their spam software to defeat things like captcha's.

It's not much trouble to upload new ones one at a time and delete the old ones, do it. I haven't had a bot get past my custom images in a year now since I changed the pics, and 99% of spam is delivered by bots. Blocking the bots mean your registration load is much lighter and you can run those IP's, email accounts and usernames through a spammer database.

Before I got this software I had to manually run every registrant's IP, email account and username though a spammer database, then ban them before they got a chance to post any spam.

This software eliminates that, except for the rare human spammer who registers. I can honestly say that I never had to remove a single spam post since my site has been up in the entire 2 years.

PopUpSteve

100% agree hamsterdaddy  ;D
Steve
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless it's digital."

Adrek

Can someone help me with creating config file?

I'm trying to install this mod on server where i cannot run package manager, so i have to add code in files manually - this is not my problem. Problem is when i have to genberate config file..

All I'm getting is error in browser:

Warning: fopen(/notcaptcha/notcaptcha_config.php) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/xxx/domains/xxx.info/public_html/forum/generate_config.php on line 55
failed to create config file. Please copy this code into notcaptcha/notcaptcha_config.php (you will need to create it!)

5>4ňĘ3ßP(FÎyůjhóP°űô8˛6{0SAZmz q6wâ;úZ´ícôäL'; /* end of notcaptcha_config.php */ ?>

I created this file with CHMOD 777, generate_config.php is also 777.

I really need to install this mod, so if you have any idea how to create this config file please share it here.
Polskie wsparcie SMF na simplemachines.org

the simplest solution is most likely the right one

hamsterdaddy

@ phantomm: I am by no means an expert or support qualified but I have learned a bit in 2 years . I think the problem is simpler than you think.

You merely need an empty file to start with, "I think"...

* Open a new Microsoft Notepad.
* Name it notcaptcha/notcaptcha_config.php exactly as shown.
* Paste this (from your error) into the body of the notepad:  5>4ňĘ3ßP(FÎyůjhóP°űô8˛6{0SAZmz q6wâ;úZ´ícôäL'; /* end of notcaptcha_config.php */ ?>
* Save it.
* Upload it into the notcaptcha file/folder in the server.

1) It's worth a try and I think that's how it's done.
2) An old saying: "You can't break what doesn't work"
3) You can always delete/remove it later.

If someone see's I'm wrong, please leave a message for myself and phantomm.

brynn

Hi Friends,
I apologize if this has been asked/answered before, but reading entirely through this 14 page topic is a bit overwhelming, lol.

I've just installed this mod on SMF 2.04.  Before adding the extra code, I switched to the default theme (Curve), to see how it works.  But I couldn't find any controls for it.  So I thought maybe I had misunderstood the part where it said it should work in the default theme without the extra code.  So then I added the code, as instructed, to index.template.php (although I noticed that that bit of code was already there).  If I understand the instructions, that's all I should need to do.  Is that correct?

I still can't find any controls for it.  Shouldn't there be some way to change the group of images, and some way to add new images?  And whatever other controls or options there might be?

Have I not installed it correctly?

Thanks for your help  :)

Omebolle

Got this above my logo in my browser after installing the mod, no warnings after installing though?

Arantor

Looks like you have another mod that may have damaged your Modifications.english.php file. Look in Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php, for a rogue ?> entry - it should be the last thing in the file.

Omebolle

Thanks for the reply, I'm a rookie but wanting to learn.
Seems the Bad Behaviour mod already made an entry there in the Modifications.english.php file.
But there's a second one too (see picture below), tried deleting the second Modifications.english.php installed again and got the same problem. The second one is produced when I install the notcapcha mod.

I also have a are U Human Mod. Maybe they conflict? This is the text in the first Mod.engl.php
<?php
// Version: 2.0 RC5; Modifications

// Bad Behavior Start
$txt['permissionname_badbehavior_goodgroup'] = 'Bad Behavior Whitelist Group';
$txt['permissionhelp_badbehavior_goodgroup'] = 'This option will make a member group exempt from all Bad Behavior tests.';
// Bad Behavior End
$txt['spoiler_post'] = 'Spoiler';

// Are You Human?
$txt['are_you_human_q1'] = 'Are You Human?';
$txt['are_you_human_q2'] = 'Are You Bot?';
$txt['are_you_human_desc'] = 'Another Anti-Bot Measure';
$txt['are_you_human_answers'][0] = 'Yes';
$txt['are_you_human_answers'][1] = 'No';
$txt['are_you_human_answers'][2] = 'I don\'t know';
$txt['are_you_human_answers'][3] = 'Maybe';
$txt['are_you_human_answers'][4] = 'I think...';
$txt['are_you_human_answers'][5] = 'Waits';
$txt['are_you_human_answers'][6] = 'Hmm' // You can add more Answers for confused the bots

$txt['are_you_human_expired'] = 'This page has expired. Please restart the <a href="' $scripturl '?action=register;">registration page</a>.';
$txt['are_you_human_fail'] = 'Please confirm that you are human in order to proceed with registration.<br />
Bots are not allowed to register.'
;

$txt['are_you_human_s'] = 'Enable MOD Are You Human';
$txt['are_you_human_q'] = 'Select the Question';
$txt['are_you_human_a'] = 'Order Rand the Answers';
$txt['are_you_human_q_0'] = 'Are You Human?';
$txt['are_you_human_q_1'] = 'Are You Bot?';
$txt['are_you_human_q_2'] = 'Random Question';?>

And this is in the second php, produced when installing the captcha mod
<?php

// Bad Behavior Start
$txt['permissionhelp_badbehavior_goodgroup'] = 'This option will make a member group exempt from all Bad Behavior tests.';
// Bad Behavior End

// Are You Human?
$txt['are_you_human_answers'][6] = 'Hmm' // You can add more Answers for confused the bots

$txt['are_you_human_expired'] = 'This page has expired. Please restart the <a href="' $scripturl '?action=register;">registration page</a>.';
$txt['are_you_human_fail'] = 'Please confirm that you are human in order to proceed with registration.<br />
;

$txt['are_you_human_q_2'] = 'Random Question';?>

// begin notCaptcha strings
$txt['notcaptcha_gd_not_enabled'] = '<p style="color:maroon">ERROR: notCaptcha plugin: GD image support not detected in PHP!</p>';
$txt['notcaptcha_jpegpnggif'] = '<p style="color:maroon">ERROR: notCaptcha plugin: no image create function (imagepng/imagejpeg/imagegif) function not detected in PHP!</p>';

$txt['notcaptcha_form1'] = 'Complete the Captcha:';
$txt['notcaptcha_form2'] = 'Place these icons <b>vertically</b>';
$txt['notcaptcha_reload'] = 'Reload images';
$txt['notcaptcha_move_em'] = 'Move the sliders to arrange the icons <strong>vertically</strong>.';
$txt['notcaptcha_nojs'] = '<b>ERROR:</b> You need to enable JavaScript and allow temporary cookies!';

$txt['notcaptcha_error_notdone'] = '<strong>ERROR</strong>: Please complete the Captcha.';
$txt['notcaptcha_error_toomuch'] = '<strong>ERROR</strong>: You have made too many attempts to enter Captcha. Press your browser\'s back button, <b>reload images</b> and try again.';
$txt['notcaptcha_error_session'] = '<strong>ERROR</strong>: Incorrect session. Please go back and reload the page.';
$txt['notcaptcha_error_cookie'] = '<strong>ERROR</strong>: Cookie not set. Make sure temporary cookies are allowed and try again.';
$txt['notcaptcha_error_fail'] = '<strong>ERROR</strong>: That Captcha was incorrect.';

Arantor

Yes, exactly as expected (and indeed a mod that is infamous for it)

As you can see, at the end of the stuff added by the Are You Human mod, is a ?>

When the notCaptcha stuff gets added too, it's added *after* that ?> because of the Are You Human mod breaking things.

There should only be one ?> in the file and it should be the very end of the file.

In other words it should be:
<?php

// Bad Behavior Start
// Bad Behavior End

// Are You Human?

;

$txt['are_you_human_q_2'] = 'Random Question';

// begin notCaptcha strings
$txt['notcaptcha_gd_not_enabled'] = '<p style="color:maroon">ERROR: notCaptcha plugin: GD image support not detected in PHP!</p>';
$txt['notcaptcha_jpegpnggif'] = '<p style="color:maroon">ERROR: notCaptcha plugin: no image create function (imagepng/imagejpeg/imagegif) function not detected in PHP!</p>';

$txt['notcaptcha_form1'] = 'Complete the Captcha:';
$txt['notcaptcha_form2'] = 'Place these icons <b>vertically</b>';
$txt['notcaptcha_reload'] = 'Reload images';
$txt['notcaptcha_move_em'] = 'Move the sliders to arrange the icons <strong>vertically</strong>.';
$txt['notcaptcha_nojs'] = '<b>ERROR:</b> You need to enable JavaScript and allow temporary cookies!';

$txt['notcaptcha_error_notdone'] = '<strong>ERROR</strong>: Please complete the Captcha.';
$txt['notcaptcha_error_toomuch'] = '<strong>ERROR</strong>: You have made too many attempts to enter Captcha. Press your browser\'s back button, <b>reload images</b> and try again.';
$txt['notcaptcha_error_session'] = '<strong>ERROR</strong>: Incorrect session. Please go back and reload the page.';
$txt['notcaptcha_error_cookie'] = '<strong>ERROR</strong>: Cookie not set. Make sure temporary cookies are allowed and try again.';
$txt['notcaptcha_error_fail'] = '<strong>ERROR</strong>: That Captcha was incorrect.';
?>

Omebolle

Thanks Arantor, finally got it. Seems there was another Mod. english ~ php file. I deleted all the Mod. english files, made a fresh one on desktop with your code and uploaded it. notCaptcha is working now. But the old captcha is still there, the one where you have to type the letters. Can that one be deleted (and how?), doesn't help against Bots anyway

Arantor

You should be able to turn off the standard SMF CAPTCHA from Admin > Configuration > Security and Moderation > Anti-Spam

Omebolle

Thanks, issues solved  :)

PopUpSteve

Looks like this is not functioning properly with I.E. 11. The slides don't work. I have had several people try to register and all reported the same problem.

Might be a good idea to include an email link below the images. Something like "Having trouble registering, click here" and that would be a email link.
Steve

PopUpSteve

OK, I've had too many reports of the slide bars not functioning in newer browsers and devices so I'm going to pull this mod from my site. When it was working it was GREAT. Hopefully the developer will fix the issues soon.  :(
Steve

MoskmaN

i have the same problem with slide bars not functioning in IE11

Omebolle

I also got feedback from soon to be members they couldn't use the sliders in IE. About a year operative now and no bots came through *thumbsup*

Tokzu

Anyone knows if this mod is working with 2.0.9 correctly?
"I don't need a knight in a shinny armor, I need a angel in a trench coat"

My mods:

macfreund

Burt

Quote from: Tokzu on December 09, 2014, 03:10:07 PM
Anyone knows if this mod is working with 2.0.9 correctly?

Yes it does work but not from mobile phones and now it has also stop working on IE 11 browser. Does anyone have a fix for IE 11 at least???. It would be a pity to remove it because it has been very effective for the past few years...
If you Sig. line is longer or higher than two line, you are just an attention seeker. Grow up!

profzelonka

Would love to see this updated to work on mobile and all..

Advertisement: