News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Moderating first time posters

Started by lewism, February 12, 2011, 12:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewism

I've been searching but I guess since I don't know what terms I'm looking for, it's why I can't find my answer.

I believe I've seen that the admin can set boards so that first time posters can be moderated and after one or two good posts, be allowed to post ongoing. This way, if spammer, will be discouraged from bothering to spam.

Is this something I could set up?

kat

You might not get too many responses, here, mparadis.

It's not an "Install or upgrade" question, after all. ;)

If you tell us which version of SMF you're using, it can be moved to the right support board. :)

lewism

Wasn't sure which section to post this in. It's a new install to me at least :).
The version is 2.0 RC4.

kat

No problem!

If I've got the right idea about what you're after, what a lot of people do, is have all noobs go into a membergroup which only has permissions to post in a certain board (Or two), where they introduce themselves.

Only after they've done that can they post anywhere else.

All done either by post-count, or at the admin's whim.

Is that the kind of thing you're looking at doing?

lewism

Lordy, the system timed out on me and I lost everything I just typed.

Anyhow, I see the karma option but was thinking along different lines.

For example, adding a third option.
That option would be a two part setting.

Part one would be a setting which allows admin to set a moderation flag on all new users. After say 5 posts moderated and passing, the user would be changed into the default system settings and post away as they want.

Part two would be another setting which adds to the users karma, called SPAM.
If someone posted spam, the users could vote. Admin could set say 10 votes as required to block and lock a user out.
It would not take long for spammers to get pretty bored and outnumbered not wanting to bother on SMF boards at least.

This is what I was hoping to achieve, something along those lines.

lewism

By the way, is there a method by which to suggest a feature to SMF developers? I'd love to see this type of function added, it's self policing, spammers would simply have no shot at their garbage.

kat

Yes, there's a "Feature requests" board and a "Mod requests" board.

The first's for things that you believe should be a standard feature in future versions of SMF.

The other speaks for itself. ;)

Advertisement: