News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

RC 5 Upgrade

Started by IceNetwork99, February 13, 2011, 06:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceNetwork99

Hello.

I have some questions about RC 5 upgrade / update (which one? i see on website both and i don`t know difference). so:

1. What is difference from upgrade / update.
2. How i can upgrade / update my RC 4 forum, because i tryed at package and when i try to upload, it gives me an error.
3. If i do that upgrade / update, my mods installed on forum will be afected?
4. If i do that upgrade / update, my theme will be afected (the theme is for RC4 !)
5. Sorry for my english. Thanks !

Mari-chi

1) If you're talking about an upgrade/update to RC5, both terms mean the same thing. If you're looking to just install a security patch, that's a different story.
2) What package are you trying to upload? The security patch for RC4? If you're trying to upgrade to RC5, you can't do it via the Package Manager.
3) Your mods will automatically be uninstalled; they'll still be there in your packages area, so you'll need to re-install them. If you made any manual edits, you'll also need to re-do them.
4) To the best of my knowledge, most themes will not be affected. What theme are you using?

Norv

1. Normally there should be a difference between packages, though currently this is not the case - the update should be smaller and ONLY apply to forums on the previous version (RC4), AND with no mods. Right now they contain pretty much the same files though, which will be corrected. Either way, since you have mods, large upgrade would be for upgrading to the next version.

2. Please note that you have 2 options:
- for your RC4 forum, you can only apply the RC4 Security Patch. You can apply it like any mod, by uploading it to your Packages directory, and install it through Package Manager. It's a simple mod that will secure your forum, but it will only contain security fixes, not all fixes made in RC5. Like any other mod, it will not break other mods. (generally). If there are conflicts ('failed tests'), then you may need to apply those edits manually after installing it.
- if you want to upgrade to the full RC5, which contains also other fixes and improvements made, then you cannot use Package Manager, unfortunately. You can only upgrade by taking the large upgrade package, unzip it on your computer, and upload all files and folders inside it to your forum folder, then run upgrade.php. All your mods will be overwritten though, and you will need to reinstall them later.

patch on RC4 for security -> it should not affect mods at all. If there are conflicts, as said, they will need to be solved manually.
upgrade to RC5 -> will overwrite mods. You can reinstall them later, though, if they are compatible, and they will typically find their settings and data in the database once reinstalled, so you won't need to reconfigure them.

4. patch -> it should not affect the theme
upgrade -> possibly, but not very likely. There were very very few theme changes though, it is highly likely it will be compatible, but perhaps you could check first with the theme's author or in the theme's topic.

ETA: ninja-ed :D
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

IceNetwork99

I understand :) Ok so i will stay at RC 4 coz my mods will don't be able to reinstall on RC5

I have installed RC4 Security Patch from Admin Area.

Im using a premium theme: http://forum.ice-network.ro/ [nofollow]

Whatever thank you for helping :)

Cya !

Advertisement: