News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Can't Stay Logged in

Started by kibtwane, February 14, 2011, 07:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kibtwane

For the past few days I haven't been able to stay logged into my forum . I don't know what's causing this problem, as I haven't made any modifications to my forum in months and have been using the latest version of Firefox for several weeks. I'm running 2.0 RC3.

Arantor

It's a spate of bots attacking SMF forums.

Ideally upgrade to at least RC4 if not RC5, failing that as a *minimum* use emulate to emulate RC4 and install the security patch anyway.

(RC4 has the same problem as RC3 does, but at least the patch will be on the 'proper' version then!)

kibtwane

Thanks for the reply.

Why do they want to stop people from staying logged in?

Arantor

That's not the point, as it happens. They're trying to get your password.

scimmiotto

Loop code example:
The following statement is FALSE
The previous statement is TRUE.

Arantor

Quote from: Arantor on February 14, 2011, 08:06:31 PM
Ideally upgrade to at least RC4 if not RC5, failing that as a *minimum* use emulate to emulate RC4 and install the security patch anyway.

(RC4 has the same problem as RC3 does, but at least the patch will be on the 'proper' version then!)

lazylivin

I did a search and found this thread. I am having the exact same problem. SMF 2.0 RC3. It started the same time as first poster. I have a ton of failed login attempts from current members and members that are not even active on the forum.

willerby

If upgrade to RC4 and applying the security patch is not something you can take on right now, I'd install mod to force email log-in (search mods Email Login). This will stop members getting logged out as the bots have harvested userIds from your forum and are trying to login over the top of members.

By forcing email login the bot attack is useless.

Ultimately you need to upgrade at some point though.
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

Arantor

You can actually install the security patch on RC3 if you use the version emulate feature.

willerby

What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

Arantor

scimmiotto

rc5 installed, no problems at all :)
Loop code example:
The following statement is FALSE
The previous statement is TRUE.

Advertisement: