Re: Membergroups and Permissions

Started by allthumbz, February 15, 2011, 01:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allthumbz

I  installed RC5 with the standard membergroups and permissions.
The post based permissions- newbie, jr, sr member, etc.
Permissions are based on guest, regular user, global mod, admin.

I added the download system mod to my forum.

I have a problem. People register, download files, and never post or participate.
Once they register, they become a regular user (newbie) with 0 posts.
The download system mod only has guests, regular user permissions, so once they are a regular user, they can download even if they have 0 posts.

I have read the docs but am still lost.
How can I make it so that they need to have say, 5 posts and be part of another group (say participating) in order to download files.

Is that even possible somehow? In other words, I want to differentiate between a "newbie" with 0 posts, and a new group that I can make different settings for, which has users with 5 or more posts. Setting newbies to guest only privileges prevents them from posting, so they will never have the requisite 5 posts.

Thanks.

Nelson

Illori

assign the permission to view downloads to the group you want, in your case looks like a post count based group and NOT the regular members group.

allthumbz

The problem Ilori, is that I cannot find any way to modify permissions only on post-based groups. Maybe my installation of RC5 is missing something? I am attaching the screens. How do I adjust the permissions of post-based groups? Thanks.

Nelson

Illori

look under settings and there should be an option to enable permissions for post count based groups then try again.

Kays

Hi, that last screen shot is the permissions page for the individual member groups. Have you tried adding the permissions there?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

allthumbz

Quote from: Illori on February 15, 2011, 08:13:56 AM
look under settings and there should be an option to enable permissions for post count based groups then try again.

Here is what I get under settings. No place to change post-based groups. Am I missing something?

Nelson

allthumbz

Quote from: Kays on February 15, 2011, 08:28:11 AM
Hi, that last screen shot is the permissions page for the individual member groups. Have you tried adding the permissions there?

That only allows permissions for regular groups like guests, regular members, global mods, etc.

Am I missing a screen on my installation?

Nelson

Kays

Go into Membergroup > Settings (I think) and enable "Post Count Groups.

Then when you go into Permissions you should see all groups listed.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

allthumbz

Quote from: Kays on February 15, 2011, 08:56:50 AM
Go into Membergroup > Settings (I think) and enable "Post Count Groups.

Then when you go into Permissions you should see all groups listed.

That isn't there. When I hit membergroup>settings, this is all I get:

Spoogs

Admin>>Members>>Permissions>>Settings... enable permissions for post count groups

Kays

Thanks. :)

It disappears after it's enabled so I seldom see it and I tend to forget the location. ::)

My Mods

Spoogs

Sure thing :) ... It shouldn't disappear though really (in the event you decide to disable it again)

allthumbz

Well, it isn't there or I wouldn't have bothered you guys. How do I get that back so I can adjust post count groups? Do I need to reinstall RC5?

Thanks,

Nelson

Kays

OK, I stand corrected. It doesn't dissapear.

But you shouldn't need to re-install.

My Mods

Spoogs

As Kays said you shouldnt need to reinstall at all

try this... yoursite/index.php?action=admin;area=permissions;sa=settings

allthumbz

Quote from: Spoogs on February 15, 2011, 10:15:36 AM
As Kays said you shouldnt need to reinstall at all

try this... yoursite/index.php?action=admin;area=permissions;sa=settings

That did it Spoogs! Thanks so much!

Nelson

Spoogs

Edit

I'm marking this solved... if you need further assistance, feel free to ask :)

Advertisement: