Delete board/category issues.

Started by Legacy666, February 15, 2011, 08:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legacy666

So this is entirely my fault for trying to do things too fast. I've tried everything and can't seem to resolve the issue so I hope someone here is able to.

So I was creating a new board on my forums and was attempting to copy the name from elsewhere into the "board name" field. When I thought I had the correct thing copied, I in fact had some google adsense ad code copied, which I quickly pasted into the board name field and then hit 'create board'.

I figured it would be as simple as either renaming, or simply deleting and recreating the board to resolve the issue. However, now I am unable to edit that board or even the category that it is contained in from within the administration section. Anything on my forums that was set to appear below that board no longer appears on my board index and there is a quite large "box" type area at the bottom of the page where the info center was that just looks glitched.

So I guess my question is : is there any way, without using the administration section, that I can delete that board or even the category that it is in (since I've moved all other boards out of that category)? Such as modifying any code in some file somewhere to remove this board/category.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Arantor

Firstly, please try not to bump within 24 hours, we're all volunteers here.

The only way to fix this is to use phpMyAdmin to manually edit the description of it to remove the offending code.

Legacy666

Sorry about the quick bump. Didn't mean to make it seem like I was in a hurry. Just happened to be when I was on and looking at the thread.

Thanks for the reply though. Which file would I have to edit to change the description though? I've looked through a bunch of files and can't seem to find the correct one to modify/edit boards.

Arantor

You need to edit the database itself, like I said. The data is damaged, it needs to be fixed there. I mean, you *could* rewrite the board editing system, but it's far quicker to go into phpMyAdmin, find the smf_boards table and edit it there.

larryhyman

you need to access your database and overwrite a few things, let us know if you can open your database and get access to the tables..

look in these tables:

smfv2rc4_categories

smfv2rc4_boards

(your table names might not be the same as mine, but once you are there, have a look around....)
In god we trust, all others pay cash !

http://hyman.sytes.net

Legacy666

I am able to open my database and access the tables. The tables I see that might be applicable are "boards",  "categories", "smf_boards", "smf_categories".

I had briefly looked at these before, but I really don't have any experience with databases so I didn't know 100% what I was looking at.

The category id number of the category that is screwed up is 1. Though in my smf_categories table, this category isn't even listed for some reason. As far as the board, its id number is 19. My smf_boards table however, only goes up to board 12, which makes no sense since I do have 19 boards (the most recently created one being the one I screwed up).

Any ideas?

Arantor

Then try the boards table, not the smf_boards one.

Legacy666

For some reason that only shows board 1 and no others... I can't understand why.

Arantor

That sounds like you're looking at the wrong database then. Check that what's in the forum's Settings.php file is the same database you're looking at in phpMyAdmin.

Legacy666

Thank you very much Arantor, that was exactly the case. I guess it was wrong to assume that the database that said "this resource is used by an installed web application" was the correct one, even though SMF is the only thing I have installed.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help, its much appreciated.

Advertisement: