My board blew up upgrading to RC5 (resolved)

Started by oaqm, February 16, 2011, 02:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oaqm

Reader's Digest version:

I was running 2.0 RC4. I installed the RC4 security patch and all was well. Attempted to install the RC5 upgrade and it failed. I ended up with white web pages that had cryptic messages along the lines of "Line 359 contains doo doo" and stuff along those lines. (Yes, I made that up - the point being the board would not load, all I was getting was text error messages)

Ultimately I just blew out the entire directory and underlying database and did a clean install of RC5. That went alright, and I had a board back, albeit a board with no posts.

I went into my web site control panel and imported my last database backup from Feb 11, and I got this:

deleted board url and temp account info - oaqm 2/23/2011

Is this something that can be fixed, or am I well and truly fuxored? Any help that I can get with this will be immensely appreciated.

Thank you.

JBlaze

What is repair_settings.php?

Run the repair_settings.php tool, which will reset your paths. This will fix the theme error you are experiencing :)

ETA: http://spydernation.com/backup/index.php?theme=1 click that, and it will reset you back to the default theme. The problem was that the custom theme you were using is no longer there, but it is still logged in the database.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

oaqm

J, if you were a girl, I would give you a dozen roses, a BIG box of chocolates, and a kiss.

Since you aren't, I will just say THANK YOU! YOU ARE THE MAN.

Antechinus

Quote from: oaqm on February 16, 2011, 02:00:08 AM
Reader's Digest version:

I was running 2.0 RC4. I installed the RC4 security patch and all was well. Attempted to install the RC5 upgrade and it failed. I ended up with white web pages that had cryptic messages along the lines of "Line 359 contains doo doo" and stuff along those lines. (Yes, I made that up - the point being the board would not load, all I was getting was text error messages)

Next time, don't trash the entire directory and db. Error messages like those are cause by bodgey files. All you need are clean files, right?

JBlaze

Quote from: oaqm on February 16, 2011, 02:18:37 AM
J, if you were a girl, I would give you a dozen roses, a BIG box of chocolates, and a kiss.

Since you aren't, I will just say THANK YOU! YOU ARE THE MAN.
I'll settle for a nice cold brew instead ;)
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

oaqm

Quote from: Antechinus on February 16, 2011, 02:33:27 AM
Next time, don't trash the entire directory and db. Error messages like those are cause by bodgey files. All you need are clean files, right?

Next time (which I devoutly hope never happens) I will dang sure do me a db backup the moment before I run an upgrade. I have run many many upgrades before, never had anything remotely like this happen with SMF before.

Quote from: JBlaze on February 16, 2011, 04:30:28 AM
I'll settle for a nice cold brew instead ;)

This one's for you!

Advertisement: