News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

2.0RC5, Login forever, doesn't work.

Started by twig/al, February 16, 2011, 08:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twig/al

I upgraded from 2.0RC4 to 2.0RC5. Login forever was working on 2.0RC4 but will not on 2.0RC5. I have store cookies on local computer checked and everything else looks the same. No errors during installation. Ran error check, no errors. Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Illori

have you tried more then one browser? login forever is working fine on my RC5 install.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It is working perfectly on my install as well, so this might be a browser / cookie issue.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Masterd

twig/al

I think it might be a cookie issue, but fixing that is over my head.. Is there a "tool" that will fix it? I am using IE8, but it was working fine with 2.0RC4.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You might want to try simply renaming your cookie, that can be done from the SMF admin CP, in server settings if I remember correctly. (This may kick everyone out once though if you do this. )
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

twig/al

twig/al

I changed the cookie name, it still doesn't work. I cleared the cache and still doesn't work. Would having the backup of 2.0RC4 on the server cause this?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

How exactly do you know so fast that it doesn't work?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

twig/al

I logged in and changed the cookie name and saved the changes, went to another site them went back to the forum and had to sign back in, tried that there different times. Does that change take awhile?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, after you changed the cookie name - It's to be expected you would need to login again, at least once.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

twig/al

I may not have explained that correctly... I whne away from my site several different times after changing the cookie name and I have to log in every time.

Arantor

Change the cookie name, then log out then log back in.

But local cookies is not generally recommended.

twig/al

I changed the cookie name, unchecked the local storage, saved everything, when to another site, came back to my site and had to login... Went back to another site, came back to my site and still had to login...

But I also noticed when I logged in it showed my username and a guest. I checked and it was showing my username and IP address and also my IP address for the Guest? (I figured this part out!)

twig/al

Update... Since all of this started, I have banned over 400 IP addresses, mostly CN, RU, UA, NL, DE... While I still have the login forever problem, I seem to have stopped the  getting kicked out... Plus I have only had to ban 1 so far today... So there is hope... This "invasion" seems to be well organized and planned out... Anyone else thinkiing along these lines?

Clara Listensprechen

Quote from: twig/al on February 17, 2011, 01:04:37 PM
Update... Since all of this started, I have banned over 400 IP addresses, mostly CN, RU, UA, NL, DE... While I still have the login forever problem, I seem to have stopped the  getting kicked out... Plus I have only had to ban 1 so far today... So there is hope... This "invasion" seems to be well organized and planned out... Anyone else thinkiing along these lines?
Yup. A lot of people are dealing with that including myself. :)
I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those who are now possible remain possible. {Michael Bakunin 1814-1876}

Arantor

I wonder how long it'll be before the IP list changes again.

Advertisement: