News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 RC5- Modification Problem[s]

Started by Garrett, February 18, 2011, 05:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett

Hello. I have SMF 2.0 RC5, and none of my modifications worked. When I had SMF 2.0 RC4, the same thing happen, but the problem exist's on SMF 2.0 RC5.

The Problem is, I can't install any modifications. When they are "sucessfully installed" no Administrator Center for that Mod shows up in the Admin Center. I've had this happen with SimplePortal, TinyPortal, and Global Headers and Footers. I have made a 'temp' directory manually in the 'Packages' directory. Please Help.
Owner, Garrett's Websites
Website Designer and proud SMF User since 2010

Garrett

Is there any person who has some advice that might fix this problem?

Arantor

Well, we do normally ask for 24 hours between bumps because everyone here is a volunteer and on different time zones.

Yes, we've seen this before, but it usually stems from a permissions issue in the files not being properly writable. What permission are the files currently? More information: How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

Garrett

Quote from: Arantor on February 18, 2011, 08:55:30 PM
Well, we do normally ask for 24 hours between bumps because everyone here is a volunteer and on different time zones.

Yes, we've seen this before, but it usually stems from a permissions issue in the files not being properly writable. What permission are the files currently? More information: How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

Sorry about bumping the topic. Anyways, I have CHMOD the 'temp' directory to 777.

Arantor

What about all the other files?

The mods physically modify the Sources/ folder amongst other things, and so the package manager needs write access to every file in SMF.

Garrett

Quote from: Arantor on February 18, 2011, 08:59:14 PM
What about all the other files?

The mods physically modify the Sources/ folder amongst other things, and so the package manager needs write access to every file in SMF.

Well, I have tried a "workaround" that can help the problem. However, I don't know what files to CHMOD in the Sources directory?

Arantor

All of them for the time being, since mods can modify any and all files in there, and most portals modify multiple files - at a minimum, I can see portals modifying Load.php, QueryString.php, Subs.php and Admin.php but likely more too.

Garrett

Quote from: Arantor on February 19, 2011, 05:26:19 AM
All of them for the time being, since mods can modify any and all files in there, and most portals modify multiple files - at a minimum, I can see portals modifying Load.php, QueryString.php, Subs.php and Admin.php but likely more too.

so how do i fix the problem? Do I have to CHMOD these files and/or directories manually, if so, which one, and what number do I CHMOD these files and/or directories to?

Arantor

You can either do it manually, or you can use Admin > Packages > File Permissions.

Try 0777 to start with, failing that 0775 or 0755 on the folders, and 0666 / 0664 / 0644 on the files themselves if you're doing it manually.

Garrett

Quote from: Arantor on February 19, 2011, 11:55:07 AM
You can either do it manually, or you can use Admin > Packages > File Permissions.

Try 0777 to start with, failing that 0775 or 0755 on the folders, and 0666 / 0664 / 0644 on the files themselves if you're doing it manually.

when i go to Admin > Packages > File Permissions, which files do I CHMOD or do I chmod all files to 777

Arantor

Quote from: Arantor on February 19, 2011, 05:26:19 AM

They can and will modify files in themes too. Hint: you need to do this for ALL files.

Garrett

do I CHMOD these files?

Sources, and the home/ftpusername/directoryuploadedto ???

Arantor

I have to admit I'm running out of ways to say this.

You CHMOD Sources, every file in it, Themes, every file in that. Mods can and will modify ANY of those.

Garrett

Do I also CHMOD all Subdirectories in themes and sources?

Arantor

Garrett

Arantor

And when you've CHMOD'd everything, try installation again.

Garrett

I CHMOD'ed everything and reinstalled SimplePortal and the problem still exist's

Arantor

So you CHMOD'd all the folders and all the files in both Sources and Themes and every folder therein.

How did you do it?

Garrett

Quote from: Arantor on February 19, 2011, 12:50:46 PM
So you CHMOD'd all the folders and all the files in both Sources and Themes and every folder therein.

How did you do it?

I did it manually.

I went my FTP account, Checkmarked Themes and Sources, type in 777 to chmod both folders to CHMOD t0 777 as well as the files and subdirectories in them.

Advertisement: