News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Post annonce doesn't show joinable membergroups...

Started by henrik1782, February 18, 2011, 10:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henrik1782

I have created membergroups where members can join if they want to get notified of specific updates.

But joinable membergroups don't show if you try to announce a post ...? And this is not interily correct ... one joinable membergroup is shown. Are ther a limit on the number of membergoups to show  in annonce?

I think this is strange. I can use it for newsletters but why not for announcing posts...?
My favorite mods: Forum Firewall, httBL, MessagePreviewOnHover, BoardHover Mod, VB Style Board Index, Separate Replies and Views Column, Realtime clock by Joker, ENotify, Topic Solved.

Illori

is the main admin trying to send this announcement or another user with different permissions? Are all the groups set visible in the admin panel when you edit the group?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Are you trying to announce a post, or send out a newsletter? Announcing a post I believe does not offer membergroups to be selected at all (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I rarely announce anything on my forum.... )
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

yes you can select member groups when sending an announcement, i tested it before my last post.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

henrik1782

Ok this can be my mistake...

I thought that I could use membergroups as postgroups... and I found out I can but the membergroup dont show up unless I select a Board.

It would be nice though to have a posibility to just have postgroups for wich member can join to receive selected news.
My favorite mods: Forum Firewall, httBL, MessagePreviewOnHover, BoardHover Mod, VB Style Board Index, Separate Replies and Views Column, Realtime clock by Joker, ENotify, Topic Solved.

Arantor

Then they're not post groups, are they?

Postgroups are groups based solely on post count, nothing else.

henrik1782

Hi Arantor...

Sorry... I mean mail groups. The idea with membergroups are great. And a membergroup could be a group of users who can sign up to receive e-mails for specific topics/news what ever or announcements.

Arantor

A membergroup IS a group of users, that's the point. If you can't see joinable groups, there's either a configuration error or a bug, I haven't had time to distinguish which.

henrik1782

Hi arentor...

I found a soulution.. you have to assign a board to the membergroup. It is not logical as I am going to use it just for announcements, but this way it works.

Arantor

Eh? What, exactly, did you do to 'assign a board to it'?

henrik1782

Hi Arantor ...

:)  sorry for not being specific... For the group I could not se in announce i editet this membergroup in option show boards and added the board where I am going to do the announcements.

I just don't see why announce and membergroups are connect through a board.

Arantor

Ah, now I see.

You can't make an announcement about a post in a board that group can't see!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

For that you would need to use the Admin newsletters, but those are not kept as posts on the forum.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

henrik1782

Hi Aranter and LexArma...

If the user is allowed to see the board as registreted user I just think it could be nice to have a group where users could sign up if they would like to have news or announcements posted to them.

You could call it mail groups or whatever, but the use should be to address specific issues to only those users that have signed up for it.

With membergroups I have to link it with boards.

I want my forum to be very flexible and have made memergroups that users can join and want to have mailing groups that is also joinable.

Is is annoying that when members choose to add a membergroup they have to make Registrated user ad the primary group. Whay can this not be set as default?

And then I need mail groups that has nothing to do with boards, posted messeges or anything else.

I would also like a feature where users can sign up for membergroups and mailing groups when they register. This way a user can completly customize which boards they want to see/participate in and also what news to resive.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Now... Sorry - I just don't follow...

You can make joinable groups, that may or may not give access to new boards, or new permissions to people.

You can send massmail to certain people, per membergroup, through Admin -> News and Newsletters
You can send massmail to certain people, per membergroup, through a board only visible to that group, through announcing a post

You can have boards visible to everyone, and allow people to subscribe to them - by Clicking "Notify" on the board index,
and this way everyone who has clicked that, will receive a notification every time a new topic is created.

You can have topics, visible to everyone, and allow people to subscribe to them - by clicking the "Notify" in topic view,
and this way everyone who has clicked that, will receive a notification every time a new reply is posted.

You can combine all this, or use just some of these. It's all up to you.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: