Show Guest that attachments are Available

Started by aw06, February 19, 2011, 07:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aw06

When you Disable guest from viewing attachments, shouldn't they at-least see below the message that attachments are available ? i know the message icon becomes a paperclip in 2.0,.. but that is still not enough to let guest know that a message may contain many attachments.. Hence inviting them to Login or Register
:: ShopinJA.com Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | Ig-Oh Theme by Koni | 70 Rock Solid Error Free Mods | Many Custom Edits & Tweaks ::
- Host Unlimited Websites - Free Website Builder & Templates - Unlimited Disk Space & Bandwidth

Illori

this would be more a mod request then something the developers would add to the core.

Arantor

Actually, I can sort of see the argument on both sides for doing this, but yeah I think I lean on the side of mod request for it.

You could, of course, just mention it in the post itself ;)

aw06

They already have mods that do this ,, I tried one and it conflicts with Highslide http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=352781.msg2959568#msg2959568

And i have somebody helping me with a custom mod as well but not getting it to work as yet http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=421345.0

So the main reason i'm here is to suggest that this be added as a core feature as it is greatly convenient and needed
:: ShopinJA.com Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | Ig-Oh Theme by Koni | 70 Rock Solid Error Free Mods | Many Custom Edits & Tweaks ::
- Host Unlimited Websites - Free Website Builder & Templates - Unlimited Disk Space & Bandwidth

Arantor

Making it a core feature wouldn't solve the problem - it still has to be modified to work with Highslide etc.

aw06

Quote from: Arantor on February 19, 2011, 08:52:45 AM
Making it a core feature wouldn't solve the problem - it still has to be modified to work with Highslide etc.

See here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=421345.msg2947102#msg2947102

As seen in this Pic http://prntscr.com/1jt2m you would eliminate the thumbnail altogether 8)

Arantor

I guess you're not interested, then, in offering to show thumbnails without showing them the full thing...

aw06

Quote from: Arantor on February 19, 2011, 09:06:01 AM
I guess you're not interested, then, in offering to show thumbnails without showing them the full thing...

that is an option, but if it is going to conflict with high-slide then that's a no go .. IN VB Forums they do it just the same, you only see the filename of the attached item, when clicked it asked you to log in .. this also saves bandwidth not loading thumbnails for guest.

Norv

I can see the usefulness in having a certain permanent clue... It is a bit disconcerting to guess from the posts whether there are attachments, posts would be more intelligible if one doesn't have to guess, but have a visual clue that there are attachments to the post. That's the purpose of the paperclip indeed, but that doesn't apply when people choose other message icons for some reason, for example.

However, if guests (or other membergroups) are not allowed to view attachments, then, IMHO, they shouldn't see (by default) the filenames either. I'm referring at SMF as it comes by default here; whether people wish to mod their forums to show filenames is of course their choice.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Joshua Dickerson

I completely agree with Norv. Initial versions of SMF (or it might have been YaBB SE) used to show buttons and indicators of things you weren't allowed to do. It was very annoying to click "reply" and see an error message. Imagine if that were standard for attachments: you go to click the attachment and you can't open it. It would need to be a permission that you'd add to a member group. Then imagine yourself being a member but still not being able to see the attachment. It would be extremely annoying. I'd recommend a customization. You can probably just edit your theme to show the number of attachments. If not, then it shouldn't be a difficult mod to make.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

aw06

Quote from: Joshua Dickerson on February 25, 2011, 08:26:49 PM
I completely agree with Norv. Initial versions of SMF (or it might have been YaBB SE) used to show buttons and indicators of things you weren't allowed to do. It was very annoying to click "reply" and see an error message. Imagine if that were standard for attachments: you go to click the attachment and you can't open it. It would need to be a permission that you'd add to a member group. Then imagine yourself being a member but still not being able to see the attachment. It would be extremely annoying. I'd recommend a customization. You can probably just edit your theme to show the number of attachments. If not, then it shouldn't be a difficult mod to make.

Have you seen the screen pic attached ?? how can that be annoying ?? it clearly states that attachments are available, login or register to view,....
As Norv suggest, it's just a permanent clue

Arantor

You'd base it on the permission to view attachments, which doesn't have to be members/guests, but anything.

You're suggesting it be simply based on guests. But that doesn't work for situations where it isn't just guests.

Let's say, you have to be a moderator or in a premium group to download something. Suddenly "Login to see attachments" is rather broken - since you log in and unless you're in the moderator or premium group, you're still being told to log in.

Unless you want to make it so the user has to type in their own message... which is basically begging to be a modification since there's absolutely no sane practical way to make it a core feature.

aw06

OK, in that case i see what your saying ...

How about if
if($context['user']['is_guest']) ,.. Attachments available - please login or register.
if($context['user']['is_logged'] ,.. Attachments available - your membergroup is not allowed to view.

Arantor

In which case, the next question for users will be 'how do I get in a member group that can see attachments?'

What happens if it's different per board? That a member group can see attachments in one board and not others?

See, this is the problem with trying to get something as a default feature, every possibility needs to be considered and taken to its logical extreme at the very least.

aw06

Quote from: Arantor on February 26, 2011, 07:13:49 PM
See, this is the problem with trying to get something as a default feature, every possibility needs to be considered and taken to its logical extreme at the very least.

Well ,, the suggestion was made .. it's now for the team to look at all angles and see if it can or cannot be done  :P

Arantor

Quoteit's now for the team to look at all angles and see if it can or cannot be done

I just provided more angles just now, and unless someone can figure out a sane answer to them, which I doubt, this is going nowhere.

Hint: the lead developer basically said it should be a mod ;)

Advertisement: