News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

A couple suggestions

Started by Andrew B., February 21, 2011, 11:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew B.

A couple suggestions here.

1. In the notifications panel, each topic should include a last post icon. It would serve the same function as the last post icon in the main interface.

2. The Insert Hyperlink button should be able to help the user embed a hyper link into text. For example, it should allow me to have a phrase like "Simple Machines" and have it work as a link to the Simple Machines website.

If there is a reason why these should not be done, I'm interested in knowing.

Illori

in the notifications page there is already a "new" icon that takes you to the first new post you have not read.

Andrew B.

Quote from: Illori on February 21, 2011, 11:25:16 AM
in the notifications page there is already a "new" icon that takes you to the first new post you have not read.
The New button is not persistent. So if I'm checking subscriptions/notifications to see if I overlooked something, there is no convenient way to get to the end of the thread.

Illori

it only shows up when you have not seen the thread since the last post

Andrew B.

Quote from: Illori on February 21, 2011, 12:01:43 PM
it only shows up when you have not seen the thread since the last post

Right. That's why it doesn't replace a last post button.

Illori

well given that this thread was moved into the declined board, you should post a mod request if you want these features.

Arantor

2.0 has that built into the WYSIWYG mode and I once wrote it as a mod, don't have it anymore though.

Andrew B.

Quote from: Illori on February 21, 2011, 03:01:29 PM
well given that this thread was moved into the declined board, you should post a mod request if you want these features.

Thanks for the heads-up. Maybe I should search the mods; they might already be there.

Norv

Thank you for the ideas, Andrew B.

I'm not sure the new post link needs replaced with 'last post' in the notifications tab, and I don't remember it being requested before. Generally notifications area is supposed to be used for exactly getting notified of something new, so it seems appropriate. Open for discussion though.

If I understand correctly the feature you're describing for the hyperlink button, to have in WYSIWYG editor another little text field for the text to appear, in addition to the address it links to, then IMHO this would be expected by users. It is quite common afaik, in the web landscape today. I don't think the current WYSIWYG editor in SMF will get features added though, at the very least not for now, but for future SMF versions we're looking at alternative options.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Andrew B.

Quote from: Norv on February 25, 2011, 04:15:57 AM
I'm not sure the new post link needs replaced with 'last post' in the notifications tab, and I don't remember it being requested before. Generally notifications area is supposed to be used for exactly getting notified of something new, so it seems appropriate. Open for discussion though.

Thanks for your reply.

As you point out, the feature is called "Notifications." On other forums it's called Subscriptions and serves a dual purpose. One purpose it to be notified by email of a new post to a subscribed thread. The other purpose is to track specific threads, usually the ones the subscriber has posted to. Because they are tracked, the user can go in at an time, to review which threads he is tracking. If he wants to double check some, he can jump to the end and see the most recent activity. Also, because it is not seen only for notification, the emails can be turned off, but the threads remain on the Subscription list where the user can check them at any time.

I've been trying to use the SMF notification feature as a full blown subscription feature. I don't always have time to follow the links in the emails, and then the emails get lost in the sea of other emails. So usually I check the subscriptions panel. And sometimes I don't do this until days later, and then the New button is gone.

QuoteIf I understand correctly the feature you're describing for the hyperlink button, to have in WYSIWYG editor another little text field for the text to appear, in addition to the address it links to, then IMHO this would be expected by users. It is quite common afaik, in the web landscape today. I don't think the current WYSIWYG editor in SMF will get features added though, at the very least not for now, but for future SMF versions we're looking at alternative options.

Arantor pointed out to me that the wysiwyg editor already has the feature I requested. I was using the text editor. And I prefer the text editor, but it's not big deal for me to just us wysiwyg. So I'll use that.

Advertisement: