SMF 2.0 RC4 (No email functionality all of a sudden)

Started by mrahn, February 22, 2011, 02:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrahn

I have been running SMF for two years with no issues.  About three weeks ago I finally made the upgrade to RC4 and either soon after or right when I upgraded email within the forums no longer works. 

I first noticed it when new users were never getting past the email activation and my admin email account in gmail was never getting the "hey a new member has signed up for your forums" emails.  The first few days I just figured it was being buggy but now I realize that nothing goes through.

I called my host and they ran tests (about an hour of phone time) that they say all came back successful.  I have not changed any settings so I am at a loss as to why email is dead.  I am using the PHP default for emails.

I have read many other threads here where people say either 1. contact your host or 2. get your SMTP information and try it that way.  I contacted the host with no success and I honestly don't know how to get my SMTP info.

If anyone could shed some light for me I would be greatly appreciative. 

Thank You.

tonydang

The same thing is happening to me and when I call my host they told me that it is the SMF...My users never got the email validation when they sign up...

mrahn

I called my host again this morning to see if another tech guy would be able to solve the issue.  They went through all of my files and could not find out why my email functionality stopped when I upgraded to SMF 2.0 RC4.  I was also given the SMTP information through my host and that also did not work.

Is there anyone that knows what could be wrong or anyone that can offer any advice at all.  At this point my host can do nothing and at this point I am thinking it is an SMF 2.0 RC4 issue.

Danny S.

I'm having this same issue lately. Mine occurred once I upgraded to RC5.

nousndthem

removed

Illori

please open separate topics for your issues, this topic belongs to the op.

willerby

I had something similar after upgrade to RC4 and reinstall of various mods. For me it turned out to be a log-jam of unsent emails in the mail queue - go to Admin>Maintenance>Mail and check the queue.

If there are hundreds, delete a load until you find the rogue one which is jamming things up. No idea what caused it but after clearing the queue everything has worked fine ever since

Worth a try
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

rugrat

Mine seems to have stopped working soon after I converted from 1.1.13 to 2 RC5. I noticed it worked for a while then it just stopped one day. Only thing I loaded was the Login verification http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2956

This is what my settings look like. Should I have Enable Mail Queue checked?

EDIT: I'm on a godaddy server and use a gmail account for replies to emails

EDIT 2: I enabled mail queue and sent a message to a test account. I saw the message in the queue. Then the message in the queue was gone, but I didn't receive the email.

If i should have opened this in another thread, sorry bout that

jmille44

I also use godaddy and can not send or receive activation emails.  Welcome emails arrive and the admin notification email arrives, but when I activate a user, the activation email sent to the user, never arrives.

Does anyone know what the fix is?  RC4. mail settings php.

Thanks

rugrat

I switched over to smtp and provided all my information and tried again. In the mail queue I see the message as in the queue for 9 seconds. Then it switches to 15033.8 days.

willerby

Sounds godaddy related... but you'll need someone better informed than I to help further
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

Danny S.

Quote from: Danny S. on February 26, 2011, 04:19:28 AM
I'm having this same issue lately. Mine occurred once I upgraded to RC5.

Forgot to mention.... mine is hosted through GoDaddy as well. Seems we may have narrowed it down some.

For now, I've removed email activation and added some validation questions. Hopefully this will stop SPAM enough for the time being.

jmille44

That I guess helped a little the link above.  So not I can use SMTP email instead of PHP, but the same issue is happening.  I receive the welcome email to the user and the admin notification email of a new user.  Then I click on the admin new user link and approve the new users, manual approval, and this is suppose to kickoff an email to the user telling them they have been approved.  This does not happen using SMTP or PHP.

Has anyone solved this issue yet?

Thanks

rugrat

Quote from: Illori on February 28, 2011, 03:41:31 PM
try taking a look at http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=417709

I changed my x-mailer to my site name and that didn't seem to work

I just sent GD a ticket to see if they can offer anything up

I also just noticed my last auto reply email was on 2/25 so this is something that just happened.

rugrat

So evidently GD has changed something. Where in the past I could use [email protected] as my forum email address, I now have to use [email protected].

I changed my Webmaster Email Address to [email protected]. Changed the mail type to smtp. Server is relay-hosting.secureserver.net
No port, username or password is required.

It now works.
Hope that helps any others.

rugrat

More information

I just switched back to PHP default and left my [email protected] as my forum contact. The email notification went through. I found this on the GD site which seems to explain why my gmail email address no longer works

http://community.godaddy.com/help/951/what-email-or-relay-server-should-i-use-in-my-php-code

rubycluck

Well I'm getting the same problem and I'm not with GoDaddy. I'm with Hostroute UK.

Tried everything everyone who's posted above has and my email still doesnt work in RC4.

If registration is set to admin approval when I click activate and send email, it doesnt send the email and the new member can get in

If set to registration by user/email they don't get the email but can get in

What was interesting today was, it was set to admin approval and I didn't get an email, but my global moderators did. LOL

Seems  like a bug to me

Advertisement: