News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Upgrade to RC3 to RC5 did not take(?), uninstalled mods still functioning

Started by PenelopeQ, February 22, 2011, 06:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenelopeQ

I backed everything up, uninstalled my mods and upgraded to RC 5 from RC 3.
That went smoothly.

But did to take?
My mods, though uninstalled are still functioning. Great, but how and why?
At the bottom of my forum it says: Powered by SMF 2.0 RC3
In my admin section it also says my version is 2.0 RC3

So what did I do wrong? And regardless of the upgrade, why are my mods functioning--I have not reinstalled them? They stopped functioning between the time I unistalled and upgraded.

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

What package do you use to upgrade? You should use the large upgrade package and make sure its files overwrites all of the current files. You can run it again, if you want. And you might want to read this: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

SlammedDime

SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

PenelopeQ

I used the Large Upgrade Package and did all the back ups first.
I was getting feedback from another thread about how to do it but the instructions link you sent was not there--those you sent are much more detailed and I think I missed a bunch of steps. I'll try it again and let you know if I have more issues.

PenelopeQ

Um...I pretty much got lost after downloading the package!

Quote from: Upgrade InstructionsSet File PermissionsAfter the upgrade archive has been uploaded and extracted, you need to set the files' permissions. This is commonly done by use of the Unix utility CHMOD. The correct CHMOD value for SMF files is either 777, 775 or 755, depending on your hosting service. There are two methods for this step, the method used depends on the hosting service that you use.
After it has been uploaded and extracted? I though I was downloading and extracting--if extracting means unzipping. If it doesn't mean that, then I can you define it for me?

Quote from: Upgrade InstructionsSetting File Permissions With the Upgrader
The SMF upgrader can set file permissions simply and easily. Navigating to the directory where SMF is located should redirect you to the upgrade.php file and prompt the upgrader. For example: www.yourdomain.com/forum/upgrade.php. If the upgrader detects files that need their permissions adjusted it will prompt for FTP details so it can CHMOD the files it requires for the upgrade. This may not work on some servers.

Setting File Permissions With FTP
Using a control panel or FTP client, file permissions can be changed quickly and easily. Usually, FTP programs will allow permissions to be changed by right-clicking files/directories and selecting "Properties", "Attributes" or "Permissions". The desired numerical value can be entered, or if provided, check boxes can be changed.

The Following files and directories should have CHMOD values of 777, 775 or 755:

/attachments
/avatars
/Packages
/Packages/installed.list
/Smileys
/Themes
/Themes/default/languages/Install.english.php
agreement.txt
Settings.php
Settings_bak.php
upgrade.php
I don't know what any of that means. I use Filezilla as my FTP. But what is CHMOD?

I'll stop there so someone can answer and then post my confusions for the  next steps once I figure this step out.

Thanks

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Actually, I hate FTP especially FileZilla. If I am not mistaken, there is some reported bugs (I am not sure what it is). Basically, the downloaded package need to be unzipped and then be uploaded to your forum overwriting all the current files. You can ignore the CHMOD unless when upgrading, you are ask to do that to certain files or directory or both.

If you have access to cPanel, it will be easier.

SlammedDime

Here is the easy way to do it if you have cpanel... upload the Large Upgrade zip file to your main SMF directory.  Use cPanel's file browser and find the file, click the checkbox next to it (or click it once, I can't remember), then click the 'Unzip Archive' (or something similar) button at the top.  It will unzip the file into the current directory, effectively upgrading you.  Then you just have to navigate to upgrade.php (http://yourboard/upgrade.php) and follow the steps.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

PenelopeQ

What I had originally done last week was unzip it on my computer and then used FTP to upload it--by dragging it from the left to the right side in my FTP. It did it and I thought that was it until I noticed the forum still said RC3 and my mods are functioning.

What is cpanel--I don't know if I have it because I don't know what it is.
I have a cpanel at my Bluehost account, but is that something else?

So regarding navigating to upgrade.php... I just tried: http://mforumaddress.mymain address.com/upgrade.php It took me to one of those google list pages with keywords and links it thought I might be trying to find. I had my forum opne in another window and simply replaced the word index with upgrade in /index.php. But I coule easily be misunderstanding.

PenelopeQ

Sorry, I'm still waiting....
what is cpanel...?
And I tired going to http://myforumaddress.mymainaddress.com/upgrade.php and got a google links list page that is typical when the address is not found.

I have not tried to upload the upgrade version again through FTP since the description matched my actions. Shold I try again and then proceed?

angiexx1

Cpanel is the main control panel for your website not the forum admin

PenelopeQ

I didn't think it was the forum admin, but I don't know what the main control panel for my site is.

I wondered if it was something to do with my bluehost cpanel.

Advertisement: