Attachment download speed

Started by hamaddar, February 24, 2011, 10:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamaddar

Hello everyone,

I know you're going to look into this for me from you precious time and so I'm going to thank you even if you come to read and can't help.

I'm having retarded low download speed on attachments on my SMF 2.0 RC2.

For example on a 1Mb link, I should get 100+ KB per sec, but I'll rather get 10-20KB per sec.

Example download link : http://www.koolmuzone.com/forum/pakistani-music/aag/?action=dlattach;attach=565

Will this require changes in SMF scipt or server settings? If it's server settings, please point out which settings exactly and I'll ask my server support to look into this.

Thank you so much for reading,
Hamad

Edit: Also, is there a way to make downloads resume supported?

Arantor

There aren't any settings for this, before we go any further.

Resume support is not provided due to the way SMF+PHP handle the file, and engineering it is distinctly not trivial.

You talk about a 1Mb link, are you running the forum from a home PC?

hamaddar

Not at all, I'm hosting with WiredTree.

1Mb is my home connection which should give me a download speed of 100KB per sec.

While it just gives 20 or so..

When I tried downloading a file directly : http://www.koolmuzone.com/SU.mp3

It gave me complete 100KB.

So it has to do with either SMF or PHP.

Arantor

Well, it has to do with both. By *necessity* the file has to pass through both SMF and PHP when it's attached (since it has to be passed through for the benefit of being user-access protected)

If the file's large, it's going to get chunked between SMF+PHP and going through to Apache, which is where the bottleneck is probably occurring. Bad news, unless you make it so attachments are not tied to forum access, there is actually no way to improve that speed.

hamaddar

Hmm thanks, may be I should ditch SMF for attachments and directly upload them.

Arantor

Only if you don't want to protect the files from non forum users accessing them.

Advertisement: