News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

mysterious load.php generates undefined errors

Started by demagpie, February 24, 2011, 06:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demagpie

I own a very tiny forum.  I recently discovered a ton of unactivated accounts so I beefed up password requirements and lowered permissions for new members with no posts and suddenly my "guest" list overfloweth.  At the very same time (maybe coincidence) a new "runtime generated ap" was installed on my database: "load.php."  This seems to have been done under my account with my IP address (?)

In light of the recent bot attacks, I worry.  Can anyone tell me if this is just an automatic patch sent through when my site did its daily smf updating?  I can't read computer-ese except that it seems to be setting up a "phantom" site for (?), with all sorts of scary searches for info and caches (which might also be phantom read) and mentions hackers, bots and spiders repeatedly (oh, my!).  It's a very long package with a lot of technical data that (if I read it correctly) actually looks like it's a guardian angel for me and my users.  But then, what if it's lying?

I might never have noticed it, except it's generating unspecified errors in my log and seems to have wiped some of the icons in my drop down menu (simple portal).  Is this SMF's helping hand for the little folks who don't have the time to install the Big Guns?  Or something more sinister?  I can't find any references in the news, here.  Please advise.

Arantor

Load.php is part of SMF. Specifically in relation to your errors, it's where the template loader is, and any errors in templates will be registered as being in an 'eval' function in Load.php.

Go to Admin > Configuration > Server Settings > and tick Disable evaluation of templates, then save

This will log the real place the error is happening so we can help you figure out what's messing about.

No patch for 2.0 is 'automatic', the only things 'pushed' automatically are the news, and even that happens only once a day, but it means that it's refreshed daily.

demagpie

All right.  I assume this will generate a report somewhere or another that I can pass on to you?  I'm sorry, I'm very new to this and the reason I haven't upgraded from RC3 is because I'm waiting for a stable release so I don't have to do it again for five years...

So, things like "// If it is detected as a robot, and we are restricting permissions as a special group - then implement this" are standard to this program?  I particularly like the bit about giving robots pain on messaging, whomever wrote that.  Kudos ;D  But the entire thing sounds as if it's hoodwinking someone.

A thousand pardons, but I don't know what to do next.  I changed the template eval as suggested, though.

busterone

Now the errors in your forum error log will show the true nature of the error, and what file is generating it.

Arantor

QuoteAll right.  I assume this will generate a report somewhere or another that I can pass on to you?

It'll be in the forum error log in the admin panel.

QuoteI'm sorry, I'm very new to this and the reason I haven't upgraded from RC3 is because I'm waiting for a stable release so I don't have to do it again for five years...

Well, SMF 1.1.x is now 5 years old and there have been updated for that too - but fortunately they install very quickly and easily.

QuoteSo, things like "// If it is detected as a robot, and we are restricting permissions as a special group - then implement this" are standard to this program?

Yes, those are comments. Specifically that comment relates to spiders being detected (like Google, Bing, Yahoo) and giving them different permissions to prevent them seeing things they shouldn't. Not all robots are bad.

QuoteA thousand pardons, but I don't know what to do next.  I changed the template eval as suggested, though.

Look in the forum error log - Admin > Maintenance > Logs > Error Log, and see what's in there.

Advertisement: