Garbage characters in menu breadcrumbs.

Started by seisatsu, February 25, 2011, 07:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seisatsu

This. How do I fix it?

I'm using SMF 2.0 RC5 with UTF8 MySQL collation.

Masterd

Install the UTF-8 version of your language.

seisatsu

English UTF8 installed and set as default, and forum cache cleared. The garbage characters are still there.

Illori

check your index.template.php file for any rogue characters

Masterd

Do you have this line in Settings.php?

$db_character_set = 'utf8';

agent47

I had the exact issue when I installed a SMF RC4 theme on my SMF RC3 base- site. I resolved this issue by getting support from template creator. I basically sent him over the index.template file, he made the necessary adjustments, sent it back to me and it was gone.

PortaMx is probably the best SMF portal!

MrPhil

Code-page specific (non-ASCII) characters must never be entered into a code or theme file -- only into language files where the code page (encoding) expected is explicitly given. Only ASCII characters (x00 through x7F) may be used in code and theme files (non-language files); all other characters must be HTML entities (&#nnnn; or &name;) so that they will work properly no matter what the page encoding is. I've been harshly criticized for saying this, but I'm going to do it again: authors who put non-ASCII characters (hard coded binary characters) into non-language files are morons.

seisatsu

Yep, I found it. There was a funky character next to the right angle bracket echoed in the breadcrumbs.

Advertisement: