News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Global wide permissions?

Started by hcfwesker, February 25, 2011, 09:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcfwesker

How can I make a member groups permissions be FORUM WIDE, every board, without having to set their permissions "like" Global Moderators.

I want groups to have forum wide permissions, but not be recognized as global mods in the membergroup legend.

Again, this was so simple on smf1 :(

I'm on smf2 rc4

Arantor

It's actually no different to how you'd do it in 1.1 if you step back and think about it. If you had local board permissions in 1.1 you'd have to set the permissions for each of the boards you had local permissions for.

Do you have any boards with their own permissions (i.e. using a profile that isn't the default board profile)?

hcfwesker

Quote from: Arantor on February 25, 2011, 09:25:16 PM
It's actually no different to how you'd do it in 1.1 if you step back and think about it. If you had local board permissions in 1.1 you'd have to set the permissions for each of the boards you had local permissions for.

Do you have any boards with their own permissions (i.e. using a profile that isn't the default board profile)?

I'm kinda confused.  but , yes, I have 40 boards that are set to "Reply Only".  they're our Member Blog boards, which the blog board owner is set as the mod of that board, where only they can make topics, which members can only reply in.

But, I can't give a membergroup FORUM wide permissions, unless I put them in the global moderator group.  On SMF1, I'd just click the option I wanted, and that was it.

Arantor

QuoteBut, I can't give a membergroup FORUM wide permissions, unless I put them in the global moderator group.  On SMF1, I'd just click the option I wanted, and that was it.

I guess you could put it that way, despite an individual board actually having the ability to set board specific permissions much as you do here (and if you set something to read only in SMF 1, the permissions you set may even be overridden by SMF itself, how cool is that!)

SMF 2 avoids that by not having fake profiles, and using real profiles. Create a new profile based off Read Only, set the permissions in that, then switch the boards using read only to using the new profile. Then set it for the default profile too.

It's only a 'problem' when you start mixing per board permissions with things that are naturally board permissions that should apply to things that aren't individual boards.

(In other news, if you'd set local board permissions in 1.1, you'd have the exact same problem, only worse since you really would have to change it board by board, rather than by types of board)

Advertisement: