Unable to Attach large files, 70MB+

Started by Jimmy05, February 25, 2011, 10:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy05

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting file attachments, roughly around 75MB in size, to work properly. I attach them, and it takes a really long time, then just goes to a New Topic page. No error or anything.

Now, I assume it is 'timing out' and probably largely in part to me using a cheap, shared host. But my site is under construction for about 3 months now and I didn't want to pay $100+ a month for a dedicated host yet until the construction is completed.

In any case, is there anything I can maybe do to fix this, in case it isn't the host? I was considering contacting the provider about the issue but figured I'd come here first.

Thanks in advance,
Jimmy

tesser

I had the same problem  once  i run a music forum  and none of the hosts could do what i wanted so i host it my self now.

I fixed all file limits and posting time outs by making my own HTACCES file and a small bit of code  for my php.ini file.

The HTACESS file you just upload to the root of your directory  but you need access to your php.ini file and some hosts wont give that.

If a staff members says its ok il upload my HTACCESS file and the  code for php.ini.

I can now upload any size file i want  my biggest file i have uploaded was 3.7GB.

Roph

Upload / Post max filesize is often limited to a relatively low value, especially on shared hosts, and these settings will prevent you from uploading such large files.

Make a new php file, call it info.php or whatever, and put this in it:

<?php
phpinfo
();
?>

Upload this file to your site and access it in your browser, and you'll see lots of information about your PHP setup. The ones you're looking for are upload_max_filesize and post_max_size.

On some shared hosts I've seen these set as low as 2MB.

Jimmy05

Both Post_max and Upload_max are 64M (assuming that is 64MB). I am on HostGator right now, but it's temporary.

Is this something I can request be changed? Do dedicated hosts do this as well?

Arantor

post_max_size should really be at least 3x upload_max, and in any case those limits prevent you going above 64MB anyway...

Jimmy05

I contacted HostGator and they couldn't change any settings on shared accounts.

Thanks for the help, this is solved.

Jimmy05

Hi,

I have to bring this back up again now that I am on my new host.

Does anyone have the settings that Tesser is using?
QuoteIf a staff members says its ok il upload my HTACCESS file and the  code for php.ini.

I think I have access to the php.ini settings and possible apache etc through my WHM, but I am not sure.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Jimmy05

I got it working, I was able to do a 211MB file.

I'm just wondering if that HTACCESS or other php.ini settings that tesser was referring to would help my cause.

Solved.

Jimmy05

Hi,

This is re-opened because it no longer works. Would a DNS change effect this? If so, how would I resolve this?

As of right now, from the time I hit the submit button to upload a file, to the server timeout is exactly 30 seconds... then I get the "The connection was reset" message in Firefox.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jimmy

Advertisement: