News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Help? -- Resize oversized large avatars (requires GD module)

Started by Krux, February 27, 2011, 05:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krux

I've done searching everywhere for how to install the GD module but
I either find instructions for Windows or just more people asking
the same question as me.  This seems to be a common problem
that goes unsolved..

I'm running SMF 2.0 RC5
I have no idea what other information is needed  :-\
I guess I need to know where php.ini is?  I read somewhere that
we can't edit that file and that's why we can't see it.  So is that
it?  Dead end?

Kays

Hi, if you go into the Admin CP > Attachments and Avatars > Avatar Settings you should see if the GD library is installed. There will be a red warning if it isn't.

If it isn't then you'll need to contact your host about it as it needs to be installed on the server.

A php.info file will also tell you whether it's installed. What is a phpinfo() file?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Krux

Yeah, I already know about that file and that I'm not allowed to touch it on my host.
My host hides it so nobody can modify it.   000webhost.com

..and you say I can tell them to install it for me??

Kays

The phpinfo() life will just show you what is installed. Just another way to confirm whether the GD library is installed. Even if you did have access to the php,ini file it won't help here as GD is a module which need to be installed on the server.

You will need to contact your host and ask them to install it.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Alison Black

Quote from: Krux on February 27, 2011, 09:14:04 PM
Yeah, I already know about that file and that I'm not allowed to touch it on my host.
My host hides it so nobody can modify it.   000webhost.com

..and you say I can tell them to install it for me??

Actually you can access that file and modify it if you know how to use a PHP File Editor, a common free one is Filezilla, but I don't like it, you can find some better free to use PHP file editors programs out there, just do a Google search.

To my respose to you post, I was with 000webhost.com for a while until I changed to www.fatcow.com which is a much better web hosting service. But with the ability to access and use the php.info file, you just need to contact them by email and say to them that you want access to all your scripts/files etc. It doesn't matter if your a free hosting account of a pro, but the only reason they keep it hidden, is because a lot of people who are very new to website building and website hosting services, do not really have the knowledge of all the inner workings of all the files that are required to manage a website.

So in simple terms, they do this for your own protection, because if you mess with a file you do not know much about, a single letter or symbol and even a single space in the wrong place, can completely stop your website from being able to load up/function, so they do this for your own safety so a new user without much knowledge doesn't stuff up their website. Because then you need to email or live support them to find the problem and fix it for you. But just email them if you do know what your doing and they will simply ask you why you need access to it and a couple of knowledge questions, so they can see you know what your doing, as they are bound to protect your files, except the ones that you install later, such as mods.

Once you get them to give you access to the php.info file, state that you want complete full access, as they may only give you temporary access to it. Also ask them to set the permissions to 777, so you have the ability to edit it. Just head my warning, If you seriously do not know what your doing, then ask them to do it for you. When I first started out, I asked for perm access a crasahed my website which took them almost  day to fix the problems, so believe me when I say, your better off letting them do it, than yourself if you do not have intimate knowledge of the files. Good Luck and I hope your website look and act they way you want them to.

I offer my services to anyone who needs support for fixing websites or even if you need help to set it up or design parts of it etc. I usually charge $15.00 USD an hour for Working people who are using business websites. But for those of you who cannot afford to pay for your private websites or forums and just need a fresh look and thoughts or you might need some mods installed and you need files to be correctly modified so your mods install with 100% success, then I will help free of charge. Just send me a private message and I will do all I can to help, which I know heaps about website and logo/banner design, creation etc.

CapadY

Alison, answers be nice but make sure you give the right answer.

Filezilla is not a PHP-editor, it's an filetransfer program
php.info isn't a file you can edit, it's just a tool you can use
The information shown by php.info is set by php.ini and you can hardly find hosters where uou are able to edit that file.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Advertisement: