News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Delete External avatars

Started by ACAMS, February 28, 2011, 12:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACAMS

How do I delete all External avatars?
I am guessing it is done in mysql, but need instructions.

Arantor

UPDATE smf_members SET avatar = '' WHERE avatar LIKE 'http:%' OR avatar LIKE 'https:%'

ACAMS

Thanks, but I have less than 100 active members and deleted them all by hand last night.

Arantor

You asked, you got an answer far faster than most and that wasn't good enough :(

ACAMS

Well I am not very good at at editing the data base, and I do appreciate the answer even to it was kinda sketchy.
I sure don't want to hurt your feelings because you are one of the few here that can actually help.
I always try to fix my problems, even after I ask for help here.....as I should, and a large percentage of my problem NEVER do get fixed!
I spent about 14 hours yesterday working on that, and several hours before I asked how to do that,  and probably should have deleted the topic when I finished deleting them by hand, but was tired and went to bed instead.
I have actually been very patient with help on my problems because I can see there is turmoil among the developers and people that understand SMF.

Arantor

Quoteand I do appreciate the answer even to it was kinda sketchy.

Even though it was the specific query you needed that would have done it in a single hit.

Quoteand a large percentage of my problem NEVER do get fixed!

Well, as you've indicated there is a shortage of people who do know how to fix things around here, not going to argue that, but I gotta say, this sort of thing does put a distinct dampener on trying to help. I saw, for example, the IE9 thread - and after a couple of posts in, I knew it was a thread I wasn't going to venture any support in, because to suggest something only to get a reply back that would have made me feel stupid for helping doesn't encourage anyone to help you - and I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the reason

I'm not having a dig, just voicing what I'm seeing and what I've felt. I appreciate at times it can be hard when you're standing at the bottom of a well, and shouting and no-one's coming. But giving out the feeling that people are wasting their time offering help just makes them want to not offer help at all.

As for the team turmoil, I think it's mostly over, and with 2.0 final, I'd suspect the last vestiges of turmoil will actually disappear, since I won't have any reason left to harass the team, and then anything left is, well, stuff they can deal with by themselves.

ACAMS

Quote from: Arantor on February 28, 2011, 09:11:12 AM

I saw, for example, the IE9 thread - and after a couple of posts in, I knew it was a thread I wasn't going to venture any support in, because to suggest something only to get a reply back that would have made me feel stupid for helping doesn't encourage anyone to help you - and I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the reason

I may have been a little sassy there, but I was dealing with microsoft!!!!!!!! (anybody that ever tried to deal with them will understand)
Anyway, I was asking how to fix the problem and may have worded it wrong......I guess I can give up on getting that solved now.

Arantor

You're dealing with a pre-release piece of software whose functionality and quirks may well change before release, just like Firefox 4 is right now.

Advertisement: