News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Back up & Restore 101

Started by scotchmonster, March 01, 2011, 06:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotchmonster

Hi everyone,
I am going to try to go from RC2 to RC5 today and understand that I need to back up first. I have been guessing my way through this for a couple of years and wanted to get some expert opinions on the following.

* I have been downloading the content of the site & the database via ftp onto a hard drive. Is this the best way to back up?

* If I have a problem & neee to restore do I simply just replace the backed up files & database back onto the server?

* I have some customisation within the template we use. Will I loose the functionality that provides?

Any help is much appreciated, Thankyou in advance.

Arantor

Quote* I have been downloading the content of the site & the database via ftp onto a hard drive. Is this the best way to back up?

Unless your site is huge, that's usually fine.

Quote* If I have a problem & neee to restore do I simply just replace the backed up files & database back onto the server?

Yes.

Quote* I have some customisation within the template we use. Will I loose the functionality that provides?

You will have to update it for 2.0 RC5, a great number of changes have happened since 2.0 RC2.

scotchmonster

Advertisement: