News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

v2.0 RC5 Chat

Started by Hollow, March 01, 2011, 10:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollow

Yo. I just installed a RC5, and I'm wondering how to install chat software. None of the packages I've found work with it.

JohnnyxViet

You can create html at the bottom
You can create XAT so you guys can chat

Clara Listensprechen

I've been looking for a number of chat mods myself. How do you do that?

I would prefer a number of chat options my members could choose from, like going into IRC chat, going into a chatroom with other chatrooms, and shoutbox (Ajax-type), but something is better than nothing.
I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those who are now possible remain possible. {Michael Bakunin 1814-1876}

birchy

I have a need for this as well. Mostly for a popup FaceBook style, one-on-one chat. Will probably use it mostly between users and admins, but also between users in the long term. Regardless, I want the chat to be a side task to browsing the site. This will need to go in a footer that is used on the non-forum pages also.

I will have specialized chat room features later, but they don't need to be integrated into the forums. In fact, I started coding a more feature-rich version of the stranger-to-stranger Omegle.com style interface, but haven't returned to the project to finish it yet. (It will allow sharing of video and audio files while chatting, and permit chatters to rate each other and to filter otherwise random chat partner matching by certain criteria: gender, language, intent.) I also want to add a moderated, guided conversation chat room section, sort of a panel discussion, with private side conversation capability.

agent47

birchy there's no need to type in large font size. We're gonna glance through your post either way - using large font only makes us want to help you less...
If you guys are willing to pay, you should try CometChat. That's what I used at one time which is a sleek and well-designed mod...
If you're looking for a FREE mod, you guys might wanna try something like this. Never tried it myself so I can say how it's gonna look.
Remember to backup your files before installing a new MOD.

PortaMx is probably the best SMF portal!

birchy

I wasn't trying to shout, I just wanted to differentiate between the important material and the asides. I shoulda used the preview function. Thanks for the info!

Advertisement: