From SMF 1.0.1 to latest version?

Started by guider, July 17, 2005, 08:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guider

Here's the deal; I manually modded the hell out of SMF and do not want to lose my changes. Im using the mambo bridge, 2.2 if I recall rightly (Version for SMF 1.0.1 created January, 2005), that's modded too. I do not want to reinstall the languages/icons/tablesettings etcetera. Just the neccessary security changes only. No enhancements furthermore, just the absolute minimum. What's the best way for me to do so?

xenovanis

What latest version? 1.0.5 or 1.1 Beta 3 Public?

If you want to upgrade to 1.0.5, use the packagemanager and start with the upgrade from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2, then from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 etc..
If the upgrades fail because you made significant changes in the sourcecode, this thread might interest you.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

guider

Won't using the package manager change back my language/icons/tablesetting modifications?

If so, your answer doesn't match my question. If that would be the case, I will have to do the updates manually and that brings me to my other question; what's the absolute minimum required to stay secure?

xenovanis

Quote from: guider on July 18, 2005, 06:39:37 AM
Won't using the package manager change back my language/icons/tablesetting modifications?

No, it won't.

Quote from: guider on July 18, 2005, 06:39:37 AM
If so, your answer doesn't match my question. If that would be the case, I will have to do the updates manually and that brings me to my other question; what's the absolute minimum required to stay secure?

Make all changes in the *.mod file. If you don't, you probably experience problems with the forum functioning.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

guider

I'm a bit confused, even after reading this:
The upgrade package is needed for any upgrade other than from the last release
What do I need to do, upgrade 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 to 1.0.5, or can I go from 1.0.1 straight to 1.0.5?

xenovanis

Admin -> Packagemanager -> Latest packages

What do you see there? Do you see an announcement to upgrade to 1.0.1 (click here to install)? Click it, and you will see an invitation to upgrade to 1.0.2. After that upgrade to 1.0.3 etc etc.

guider

The link with SMF has been down for a while but now I see what I should do. Thx. I will keep you updated here, stay tuned...

guider

Okay well that was nice, 'invalid or damaged package' on the first one. Where can I find the .mod file to do it manually, don't see it in the upgrade package.

xenovanis

This happened after you clicked install? Weird. Try to install the attached one through the packagemanager?

guider

Uhh, after reading this I'm a bit scared about upgrading. You said all would be kept right, howcome that topic is talking about overwriting?

guider

The file you attached is talking about the features of 1.0.1. But I already have that? Shouldn't it be 1.0.2 update?

xenovanis

Quote from: guider on July 18, 2005, 09:13:24 AM
Uhh, after reading this I'm a bit scared about upgrading. You said all would be kept right, howcome that topic is talking about overwriting?

You are confusing the upgrade though the packagemanager and the manual update/upgrade. Upgrading though the packagemanager will work like you install a mod, it searches the files for pieces of code and change it. Manual upgrade/update will indeed overwrite your existing files with the newest files. I am trying to help you avoiding the last option, so you won't have to make all your modifications again. But it's never easy to upgrade a fully modded forum. Have you considered keeping a log with all modifications you made? This will make it easier, especially when something goes wrong. Also big upgrades (1.0.x -> 1.1) can't be done through the packamanager.
Anyway, I do always like this part: BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP.

Quote from: guider on July 18, 2005, 09:18:05 AM
The file you attached is talking about the features of 1.0.1. But I already have that? Shouldn't it be 1.0.2 update?

Sorry, my mistake. Try this one.

guider

That step worked, nice. But when I manually download the other update packages they all give an error. Could you please attach 1.0.3, 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 update packages?

xenovanis

Here you go. Good luck. And think about that log, he?

guider

Umm forget about the nice... the packages manager gives an error 500.

xenovanis

Quote from: guider on July 18, 2005, 09:39:25 AM
Umm forget about the nice... the packages manager gives an error 500.

Can you post the exact errormessage? When exactly did you get the error?

guider

After updating it said successfull or applied or anything and all seemed well. When I tried uploading the next file it first told me it was invalid (thats why I asked you to post them). When refreshing the page to try your files, it gave me a frienly welcome;

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Perhaps a file got applied half way whilst checking validity?

xenovanis

Did you ever had problems before with the packagemanager? Are there any errors in your errorlog?

guider

Never had any trouble using the package manager itself, sometimes files got bounced but not that it would seize to exist. If you're talking abt the server error log, here it is. I don't know what you can make of it?

xenovanis

I was referring to your forums errorlog actually. Could you contact your host and ask them if they changed anything?

Advertisement: