News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Cant seem to set allow/deny access to various boards dependant on membergroup

Started by leegreaves, March 06, 2011, 02:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leegreaves

I seem to be having some trouble at the moment of trying to set who can or cannot gain access to boards (and hence topics). Id like to set certain permissions for boards so that only certain membergroups gain access to it. As an example, on my forum, I created an Administration board, and obviously by its description I only want to allow mods/global mods/adminstrators to gain access to is. BUT, at the moment normal membergroups are able to gain access and therefore able to read topics (albeit not able to post or reply in there), but that is besides the point. Im having this difficulty cos of the way "permissions" are set, they seem to be OVERLY confusing and hence forums may make the mistake of creating the wrong set of permissions on an individual board. My forum at present is using SMF 2.0RC4 (pre-security patch version).

Would appreciate all the help i can get.

rugrat

Admin>Boards. Click on modify, the board you want to modify. There you can choose Allowed Groups allowed to access each board

Hope that helps

CapadY

Take care of the usergroup "Regular Members". Each member of your forum is automaticly a member of this group.
So, this are very important permissions, this group should only have the most important permissions. All other permissions should be set in other member groups.

Also be carefull with the Deny option. Whem somebody is member in a membergroup with a deny this deny can never be overruled in other membergroups. So a deny is deffenitly.

Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Arantor

-sigh- There's no way to *deny* access to membergroups going into different boards, only the ability to allow them access. If a user is in any of the groups that can access a board, they can access it regardless of almost anything else.

Advertisement: