News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Additional fields for new topics?

Started by chaosaddict, March 06, 2011, 10:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaosaddict

Hey everyone.

I'm new to SMF and I only have basic experience with running forums in general, so please bear with me:

Is there a feature (or, failing that, a mod) for the 2.0 RC5 release to allow provide additional fields for new posts? Specifically, I'm wanting to add a Synopsis field on a fiction forum. I've been googling my butt off trying to find some information on this, but all I come up with are discussions about custom profile fields.

Any help at all, even if it's just pointing me in the right direction, would be fantastic.

Suki

Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

chaosaddict

Hey, thanks for the fast reply.

I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

What I'd like to have is one or two fields below the subject field when a forum user makes a new post.

So, for instance, the user would click on New Topic. In the subject field, they would type the name of the story they're posting, "Buddy and His Ball".

The next field, a custom field, would be Synopsis, and they'd type something like "This is a story about a dog, Buddy, and his beach ball."

The synopsis would then display below the subject when it is displayed in the board. I've seen features like this in other forums, such as vBulletin, so I figure there must be a mod or something for it here.

Arantor

Well, http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=606 is what you're looking for but it hasn't been rewritten for 2.0 yet.

Spoogs

also what about topic note
not exactly what you're looking for but maybe it can help

chaosaddict

Huh. 2.0 has been out for a while, hasn't it? Seems like that'd be one of the first mods to get updated.

I realize the modding community isn't on a set schedule, but in your experience, how long do you think I'll need to wait for this? It's going to be essential for my users.

Arantor

What you have to remember is that people do stuff in their spare time, and if it's that old (like the one I posted) and hasn't been updated yet, there's a fair chance it won't be. Most people that write mods do so because they need them, not because they just like writing mods, and then they share thereafter - so if they're not using 2.0, they won't necessarily update it for 2.0.

Advertisement: