From RC2 to 1.05 - Some guidance is needed

Started by H-kon, July 18, 2005, 05:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-kon

I am planning to upgrade my RC2 forum to the latest version later today, but to be honest, i have not followed these boards that much and i really do not know if there is anything that i should know of before i upgrade. I have read the upgrade thread and i think i could do what is laid out there. The problem is that if something unforeseen happen, i would not have the first clue where to begin.   I am generally a "if it works, don't fix it" and RC2 has worked great so far, although my forum is tiny (26 members, 3500 posts). The php 4.40 issue is what is bothering me as i am sure my host will upgrade pretty soon.

Also - My knowledge of PHP is minimal - at best.

Now, i am going to start the conversion in 5 hours or so - Could anyone please hold my hand while i do this?  I lost everything once with PHP-Nuke thanks to the exploit discussed a year or so ago everywhere which is what drove me to SMF, and i really do not want to lose everything again.  ( Lost everything, including 5K posts). I have completely fallen in Love with this forum and i am waiting for a front page module so that i can get rid of wordpress.

Thank you for reading this :)

H-kon

One thing that i do not understand is if i can install 1.05 right away or if i have to install other updates before applying the final 1.05 update  ???

xenovanis

Download the updatepackage, unzip it to your local hard drive, use ftp to upload the files to your forumlocation on server, overwriting the existing ones, and run upgrade.php.

http://www.yoursite.com/forum/upgrade.php

Remember that if you have any languages installed other than english you'll need to upload the new languagefiles as well, before you can proceed with the upgrade.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

H-kon

I did as you told me, and everything seems to work great so far. No error messages, but then my forum is just about the default rc2 settings. (hxxp:forums.h-kon.net [nonactive])

I am amazed how simple it was to do this. I thought i had to spend hours doing the upgrade.

Thanks a bunch for the help - a stone is lifted from my shoulders now.

thanks!

xenovanis

Now you know why it's called Simple Machines  ;). Glad it worked out for you.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Advertisement: