News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Hide username and show an unique ID

Started by Ethernaly, March 09, 2011, 10:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethernaly

Hello,

I'm building a community project (Forum + Wiki + Web). The forum platform must have some important features:

- The normal User, can open new topics and reply on it, but can't reply to topics opened by other normal users.
- The name showed in topics and in the replies, must be an unique ID (privacy reasons). So when a normal user will be registered, a unique id will created for him.
- The name showed, in topics and in the replies, for a specific group (example: authorized technician), is the Real Name. (no nickname).

SMF 2.0 can do it for me?

Arantor

Quote- The normal User, can open new topics and reply on it, but can't reply to topics opened by other normal users.

Sure. That's just basic permissions to be managed.

Quote- The name showed in topics and in the replies, must be an unique ID (privacy reasons). So when a normal user will be registered, a unique id will created for him.

Unique id is easy enough; every user has a unique numeric id anyway.

The problem is where you're trying to hide it for some users and display others. There's no particularly clean or easy way to do it, to be honest. I guess half of it is that I don't really understand what it is you're trying to achieve...

Ethernaly

I'll try to explain better what I need.

Normal users, need to use real informations for registration form.
Real Name
Real Surname
Birthday
Sex
email

So when the registration will be approved from an admin/moderator, user will recive a confirmation email with:
unique ID (Login)
password

Moderator and Technicians, must answer showing their names. For example.
Eng. Dadotti Elena

So, only approved Moderator o Technicians can reply everywhere showing their names.

-----

The board contains technical topics (where only approved technicians can reply).
Boards where normal users can start topics and wait for technicians answer.

Arantor

No, you misunderstand. I know at the specific level what you're trying to do, but I don't get what the site is about and thus WHY you're trying to do it, because I have a feeling there might be a better way to achieve your goal but I don't know what your goal is...

Ethernaly

Goal:
Some problems of normal user are so "private".
We want to hide their private informations as well as we can.
So nobody (only the admins) can see user profile.
And also, without a nickname, we will preserve :
- Privacy
- Bad username

However, professionals users (if approved), must answering showing their names.

If other informations are useful consider to ask :)

Thanks in advance

Arantor

If you're offering privacy, are the answers public/semi-public? Just it seems to me that if you're doing a private help service, you really want something more suited to a helpdesk kind of tool...

Ethernaly

But I also need a board where technicians can talk about problems and possible solutions.
Help desk can solve the first part of my problem (technicians that answer to normal user).

Arantor

You might find it's worth looking at the 'SimpleDesk' modification, it should solve some of the issues, and if you need a board where techs can talk, you could just give them a board to themselves that only they can see...

Ethernaly

mmm,
if I understand, simpledesk, can be integrated in SMF 2.0.
So I can have those features:
- Ticket can be opened by guest user.
- Replies can be posted only from Technicians or the guest who opened it.
- Forum Board visible to all. ONLY the technicians can write there.
- Forum Board hide to all except the Technicians.
- Moderate registrations, so, an admin or a moderator must accept the registrations.

SimpleDesk, allow me to decide if a ticket can be approved automatically or not?

Is there also a plugin for Wiki? So I can use only SMF 2.0, its plugins and custom theme :)

Arantor

It doesn't reuse a forum board, it is a separate area to that... Guest tickets are not an option, we never thought it would be needed.

Replies can be controlled so only staff and the person who started it can reply (that's the default)

The thing is, I gave you a recommendation without understanding what your site is totally trying to do... Which is why I asked.

Advertisement: