News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Visibility Permissions.

Started by maleia, March 11, 2011, 11:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maleia

I hope this is the correct place to post this, and I apologize if it is not.

My problem is that I'm attempting to find a way to make a member group(s) "invisible" to certain member groups, but they can still see all of the boards and post, and they can post.

Here's a few examples:

Moderators will be able to post "notes" from a separate account that normal members can not view.
Guests can not see normal member's posts, but they can view the boards and see Moderator's posts (i.e. Stickies, etc).

I searched around the instructions, and searched a few ways on the forums and did not see anything that was similar so I started a new post, sorry if this is a repost.

Arantor

Illori

i think that is one part, the other part about "Guests can not see normal member's posts, but they can view the boards and see Moderator's posts (i.e. Stickies, etc)." might be a bit harder, I dont off hand know a way to allow sticky posts to be read and not other posts in a board.

maleia

I'll check out the mod in a little bit.

I don't need them to only see Stickies, I was just giving an example of what a moderator would post that someone with limited access would need to see.

maleia

That modification won't do what I need.  But thank you for suggesting it.

Arantor

Ah, it wasn't entirely clear from what you were saying what it is you wanted folks to be able to do, then :(

Spoogs

How about using the subaccounts mod to create a member and have the moderators share that member and use it to post the notes. It wont be invisible, but you could always called the member Modbot or something like that, leave a note in the sig not to contact this member via PM and such.

Edit
This might not help either as just re-read the OP

maleia

Thank you guys for your help in this matter.  I believe that what I'm attempting to do is not currently possible.  I think now I should suggest this in the suggestion thread however.

Thank you everyone for your time.

Arantor

I can't see it being implemented into SMF itself but you might be lucky with a mod request. The problem is that it's a huge piece of work to implement proper per-topic visibility having seen someone who has actually done it before and how many changes he had to make to make it work properly.

Advertisement: