Giant newsletter sending help.

Started by codnerd, March 12, 2011, 11:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codnerd

Ok.
I have a VPS with no sending limit.
I am planning to send a newsletter to just over 100,000 members.

I did a test newsletter on my forum by sending it to just me, and it sends at 0.06% at a time. That is for one person...

Whats wrong?
How do I do this, so it will be perfect the first time?

Bigguy

You can disable the mail queue and have them all sent at once or you can play with the settings and have a certain ammount sent at a time. Have you seen the section in Maintenance in the admin panel for mail and then the settings. ???

codnerd

Yea, even with editing, it still sends at 0.06% each page load.
That's for just one person. I can't even image what it would be for 100,000.

Bigguy

What are your host limits for sending mail. ???

codnerd

None. I just switched to a VPS, and they have verified that there is none, where my old shared had a limit of 500 per hour.

Bigguy

You should be ok to send them out. It might take a bit to send that many but if you have no limit and the admin panel settings are set up right you should be fine.

codnerd

Ok, but why would it only update at 0.06% per page load for just sending a newsletter to one person?

Bigguy

That I am not sure about, sorry. Maybe it's default. Someone else may have the answer to that. :)

codnerd

I just tried it with another site of mine that has about 30 members on the same hosting, and it sent to one person in 3 seconds, where this one, just sending to one person would take hours.

Any ideas?

Bigguy

What happens when you click on:

[Send Mail Queue Now]

It should send it all at once.

codnerd

When I click on that, there is nothing in queue.
Ok, I created a new install (same version), and SQL'ed the members into the new DB.
When I try to send a news letter, it goes 0.99% every time, and once it finishes, it does not even send the newsletter.
I tried three times.

Any ideas?

Bigguy

It sounds like a server problem really. I have no problems sending all mail at once or letting the queue handle it.

codnerd

It is working on one of my forums.
The other, not.

The exact only difference between them atm, is the # of members.
I imported the members table data to a clean smf install.

So it cannot be server issues, as I am trying to send it to one person.

Bigguy

Are you using SMTP or php default. ???

vbgamer45

Quote from: codnerd on March 14, 2011, 07:06:06 PM
It is working on one of my forums.
The other, not.

The exact only difference between them atm, is the # of members.
I imported the members table data to a clean smf install.

So it cannot be server issues, as I am trying to send it to one person.
Anything in your error log? I have done around that many in SMF but I did it batches of like 7k on SMF 1.1.x
You are close if not already to point of needing a dedicated email program or email service to send it out if you do it often.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Advertisement: