News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Mod Package information is gone...

Started by searchgr, March 14, 2011, 01:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

searchgr

Same problem here after upgrade to rc5.

---
This topic was split from http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=420110.0

Angelina Belle

I have split your topic from the previous poster's topic in order to avoid confusion.

I do not know why upgrade from SMF 2.0RC4 to 2.0 RC5 has caused you this problem.

At this point, it would be most convenient if you could simply ensure that each of those mods is uninstalled, then re-install.
But things get messy.  Package Manager will not run the uninstaller because it thinks the packages are uninstalled.
But if Package Manager runs the installer, and some of the mod's changes to SMF files are still there, you could wind up with some sections of code copied in twice, which could cause strange behavior or really mess up your forum.

The poster in the other topic finally solved the problem by getting all new copies of all the RC5 files from the RC5 install. Only the forum's php files would have been be required (and not upgrade.php)

Afterwards, you would need to check that permission (CHMOD) and ownership (CHOWN) of all files within your forum is set the way Package Manager likes it. Then, you would be ready to re-install all the mods.

This seems like the conceptually easiest solution to me. Any other approach involves manually uninstalling all the mods that are currently marked as "not installed".

I hope this suggestion helps you solve your problem.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

searchgr

I suspect that maybe the problem is caused by the permissions of some files but i don't know from where to start ....

The solution that i will apply is the following:

Before the upgrade to the final version i will delete all the mods (from the package manager) and after the upgrade i will re-install them. At the moment all mods are working without problem and also i can install new mods through package manager without any problem again.

Angelina Belle

If the "uninstalled" mods are all working fine, I'd like to make another suggestion:
Quote from: LexArma
3) Version change after succesful patch update or small update may leave mods in the package manager seem "uninstalled" because there is no uninstall option built in to them for the new version. This would not affect functionality, if the update didn't break something by mistake. Version emulate to previous version would bring the uninstall option back as well.

You might try version emulation to see if they again appear to be installed.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

searchgr

Why to uininstall? I will delete the files using the 'Delete' function of the package manager and then after the upgrade all the files will be over-written.
So i will clean the package manager wrong entries and after the upgrade i will install the new mods.

searchgr

Do you know any specific file related to Package manager that needs permissions other than 755?

Arantor

Only the entire set of files in SMF, since mods modify the files directly...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Actually to correct my earlier statement - I just realised a mistake I made, I didn't really think this through it seems...

There is only one way to update from RC4 to RC5 which is the Large upgrade package, which replaces all files in the installation, and so effectivily uninstalls all mods that were installed. The packages will remain, but they will be as if  were never installed in the first place.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Angelina Belle

Quote from: searchgr on March 14, 2011, 02:06:19 PM
At the moment all mods are working without problem and also i can install new mods through package manager without any problem again.

Even the mods that are listed as not installed?

searchgr

Yes, everything works ok. All the mods are working. Also i checked the log_packages table and it looks ok.
Is there any particular file that needs to change the permission? I tried to change permissions to some files without any success. I can't think something more.

Advertisement: