News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Adding Security

Started by Xarcell, March 14, 2011, 07:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xarcell

So I'm looking for suggestions on what mods to use to increase my forum security. Nowadays there just seems to be so many mods to help with registration, that I'm not sure which ones are the best to use.

I'm also considered using "Forum Firewall", but scared of it truthfully. Sounds complicated, and with my site being new and all, I don't want to accidentally block legit members.

Any suggestion on what I should be using? The current image verification for SMF is a pain, I always struggle seeing it. I've use reCaptcha in the past, and liked it, but I hear it's been beaten by bots?

I'm also interested in notCaptcha. Any thoughts on this?

What would you recommend for added security?

Arantor

CAPTCHA solutions, ultimately, are all vulnerable. reCAPTCHA's weaknesses are multiple: the fact it doesn't explicitly require the right word to be used, the fact that in controlled tests even 50% of normal users actually failed at it (which means automated success of 30% is significant) and the fact that CAPTCHA solving farms are out there where users are paid $1 per 1000 solved and can earn a relatively good amount of money for it.

Using registration questions is easily one of the best methods of keeping out spammers.

Forum Firewall is good but you need to follow the instructions (i.e. watch for a bit before letting loose the cannons)

live627

I use Stop Spammer but also check the members awaiting approval list often. It caught spammers but also a legit person (well his email and ip were green but the name was what triggered it). So yeah, homework ,homework, homework all the time...

Xarcell

Thanks for the tips guys...

vbgamer45

Custom code on your registration page is what I do. Use custom fields along with renaming SMF's fields.
Questions and answers work for some people main issue with that is all your users or anyone that visits your site should know the answer.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

monkeyofstick

Also,make sure your questions are coded to folks that are into what your forum is about.
Have questions that only game players of your game would understand.
My forum was slammed with spam monsters,and someone here told me to guide my questions
on the purpose of my forum.
I have been spamless for weeks now.

Xarcell

I did this for my questions.

1.| Are You Human?
2.| Ok Let's Check. What Is: Two + 1 Minus 3?

Advertisement: