News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Emergency: Site crashed while reinstalling mods

Started by PenelopeQ, March 15, 2011, 10:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenelopeQ

My site just crashed and gave me the following message.

QuoteFatal error: Cannot redeclare scheduled_badbehavior() (previously declared in /home1/username/public_html/mlcforummidlifecrisismarriageadvocate/Sources/ScheduledTasks.php:1656) in /home1/username/public_html/mlcforummidlifecrisismarriageadvocate/Sources/ScheduledTasks.php on line 1688

Before coming here I went straight to bluehost and accessed file manager and went to my smf packages and deleted packages that had previously failed installation, then the package I had been trying to install: savedpostdrafts2.0.1, and uninstalled both pices of Bad Behaviour since it was referenced.

I did this at Bluehost because it worked when I did this when this happened to my blog while I was setting everything up. But it has not changed.

I was reinstalling mods because ever since that issue several weeks ago where people who were logged in forever were being logged out my mods have technically been uninstalled. I had tried unsuccessfully to upgrade from RC3 to RC5 and had uninstalled my mods as a part of that process. They uninstalled successfully but once I pulled the new upgrade package over in my FTP they were working again--though all of them said they were uninstalled in the Packages area inmy admin. Wanting to add a few more, I thought I would go back and officially install the others. Most installed fine...but YAGAM which has been functioning did fail. I have not remived the YAGAM from my BH filemanager.

I removed the following--though the folders are still there.

• bad_behavior_install_pt1of2
    Bad_Behavior_mod_pt2of2
    drafts
    PM_to_New_Members
    savepostdrafts2.0.1

Please help, I have a forum that is a support group and quite active. ARGH

OCJ

The mod changes other files so deleting the package doesnt help you. I had similar problems and the simplest, easiest way is to delete everything except your avatars,attachements, and most importantly your settings.php file - rename it or save it. Then upload clean files. Delete the install files and put your settings.php fle back and should be fine. Reinstall mods one by one to see what works. I had one that gave me a lot of trouble. If you backup the database and test mods its always safe to get your site back this way.
Before testing new mods I always backup the database and zip up the files or download them.

Arantor

You could just use the Large Upgrade package for the same effect, only without the faff of having to move Settings.php...

PenelopeQ

Thanks.

I had done a backup recently, but not the moment before reinstalling--since they'd been installed already.

I'm a techno-idiot. So I will ask simplistic questions that may be obvvious to others. So let me start...

I have my FTP open. So I just start deleting drom the right side?

Can I delete one or a few things and test?

Okay...just Arantor's reply....
Can you tell me what that means...no deleting?
What will it save and what will be lost?
How do I do it?
Would this be a time to upgrade to RC5 then or should I stick with RC3 since that's what I've been using?

Arantor

That means you would overwrite all the files in the system with known good ones. The database would be left intact. All mods would be uninstalled.

You should probably verify that there are mods available for RC5 that do what you want though.

cicka

Quote from: PenelopeQ on March 15, 2011, 11:17:55 AM
Thanks.

I had done a backup recently, but not the moment before reinstalling--since they'd been installed already.

Do you mean a backup of the database? If that is what you meant do not try to restore it as it is not necessary. As adviced above, you can refresh your forum files and the problem will go away.

PenelopeQ

Okay, that sounds good and I will verify those mods.

But last month I failed when upgrading. I was given the links to instructions and everything, but I still had questions--they finally went unanswered and I've been so busy setting up my blog and the forum was working fine that I did not get back to asking.

I may need a lot of help.

So here is the link to my previous thread and one of the answers:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=423442.msg2964723#msg2964723

Quote from: SlammedDimeHere is the easy way to do it if you have cpanel... upload the Large Upgrade zip file to your main SMF directory.  Use cPanel's file browser and find the file, click the checkbox next to it (or click it once, I can't remember), then click the 'Unzip Archive' (or something similar) button at the top.  It will unzip the file into the current directory, effectively upgrading you.  Then you just have to navigate to upgrade.php (http://yourboard/upgrade.php) and follow the steps.
That sounds like something I can manage. I had not done it yet because I was uncertain whether cpanel meant cpanel at my BH account and no one answered my question directly--I was only told that cpanel was not my admin which I already knew.

So I just backed up again from my BH cpanel and received the confirmation of the back up in my email.

At the top of the back up tab in bluehost it says this
Quote from: bluehostA full backup will create an archive of all the files and configurations on your website. You can only use this to move your account to another server, or to keep a local copy of your files. You cannot restore full backups through your cPanel interface.

So if I need to restore, what do I do since it says that I cannot use cpanel to do it? And where is the back up--I got an email notification and BH says it the back up will be deleted after 5 days. But where is it? Reviewed the video tutorial: it says there should be a link, but there is no link....so I'm trying again.

Okay in cpanel Files I originally selected the back up icon. There is a new icon: site back up and restore. Clicking on it to get info it says this at the top of the tab.
Quote from: bluehostSite Backup & Restore automatically backs up your website to protect you from the unexpected. If you happen to lose a file or want to revert back to a previous version of a file, you can use Site Backup & Restore to restore files from any existing backup. The Pro version adds powerful features to make restoring files faster and more convenient. More info about Pro features.

So do I need to use that one instead? I doubt it since it is a new feature, but what is the point if it can't be restored. Or can it be restored, but I just can't use cpanel and must use FTP?

I'm going to post this while I continue to work on the issue—my reattempt at the back up is in progress.

Just saw Cicka's response:

What does refresh the forum files mean--how since I cannot access my forum?

cicka

Quote from: PenelopeQ on March 15, 2011, 12:06:58 PM
Just saw Cicka's response:

What does refresh the forum files mean--how since I cannot access my forum?

Refreshing the forum files means replacing them all, minus the Settings.php and Settings_bak.php files with files from the large upgrade package. Just like Arantor adviced you above. But be careful not to upload the upgrade.php and the other upgrade.sql files because it is considered a security risk to leave them at your forum folder. You can do this with a ftp program or with the File Manager.

PenelopeQ

I will have more questions, but am stuck on the backing up right now.

It still does not provide me the link to my backup--though I received the email confirmation.
Should I ask at the BH forum--I hate doing that because they might answer someday, but I wouldn't bet odds it would be in a timely manner and this thing will be deleted after 5 days and my forum is a support group...those people shouldn't be left without this support.

You guys here are always fast and I am so thankful to you. I'm hesitant to move forward until I know more about this back up issue. If you don't know, will you just post to let me know? And in the meantime I will post over at the BH forums.

PenelopeQ

Okay wait...I found the directory path in my email--though the tutorial said there would be a link in the back up area of my cpanel also and there was not.

Here is the path:  /home1/rollerc3/backup-3.15.2011_10-02-26_rollerc3.tar.gz
So I went into cpanel file manager and found nothing called backup- etc
HUH?

Road Rash Jr.

Another solution to consider, when any mod is installed, a back up is made in packages>backups folder. It will have a creation date_before_mod name. download this file to your computer, unpack, and then upload those files where they belong. It will put your forum back to the state before that mod install.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

PenelopeQ

Okay, I downloaded all of the files from file manager in packages backup to a folder. I don't know about unpackaging them. Can I just keep them there and move on with the upgrade and figure out what to do with them later?

PenelopeQ

Quote from: cicka on March 15, 2011, 12:12:26 PMRefreshing the forum files means replacing them all, minus the Settings.php and Settings_bak.php files with files from the large upgrade package. Just like Arantor adviced you above. But be careful not to upload the upgrade.php and the other upgrade.sql files because it is considered a security risk to leave them at your forum folder. You can do this with a ftp program or with the File Manager.
I would like to start with the upgrade through my cpanel file manager. I've never done this before.

How do I do this minus the Settings.php and Settings_bak.php files?
How do I not to upload the upgrade.php and the other upgrade.sql files?

PenelopeQ

Okay, follwoing the instructions from slammed dime in pieces.

upload the Large Upgrade zip file to your main SMF directory.
Which is that?
My forum stuff is in a folder called mlcforummidlifecrisismarriageadvocate which is in the Public_html folder. So do I go to the mlcforum... folder and upload there, or do I go to a folder within that folder?

UGH...I'm trying to go through the steps without selecting just to see. But now in file manager when I click a folder nothing shows up in the left side--whereas before all the files in that folder showed up. I am lost.

kat

You don't upload the zipped file.

You unzip it, then upload all the files, overwriting what's there, now.

As explained earlier, though, not upgrade.php, etc.

PenelopeQ

I'm on live chat with BH now.

He just now had me upload the zipped file and I will unzip it through file manager.

He doesn't know much about smf though and can probably not help me after this step...I'll be back here then

He needs to go but is transfering me to another tech.  I uploaded the zipped file as he said and as SlammedDime said. But I can't find it. There has been an off-n-on probelm viewing the contents of my folders in file manager. It's been going no all morning.

kat

I rarely go to my CPanel, to be honest.

FTP's so much easier. ;)

PenelopeQ

Okay, I'm at the upgrade page after having lgone to my upgrade site and logged in...whew

now what do I do?

What does this lagnauge issue mean? I can continue, but what are the consequences? And waht about having the forum in manitenance mode. That is default checked and seems like a good idea, but what does it mean?

And what boxes should I check?
Quote from: upgradeBefore the upgrade gets underway please review the options below - and hit continue when you're ready to begin.
!!Warning!

The language files for your selected language, english-utf8, have not been updated to the latest version. Upgrade will continue with the forum default, english.
  Backup tables in your database with the prefix "backup_rollerc3_". 
  Put the forum into maintenance mode during upgrade. (Customize)
Maintenance Title:

Maintenance Message:

Output extra debugging information 
  Empty error log before upgrading 
  Allow Simple Machines to Collect Basic Stats Monthly.
If enabled, this will allow Simple Machines to visit your site once a month to collect basic statistics. This will help us make decisions as to which configurations to optimise the software for. For more information please visit our info page. 

PenelopeQ

Okay, I went ahead and kept going. This was the final comment
QuoteThat wasn't so hard, was it? Now you are ready to use your installation of SMF. Hope you like it!
Delete this upgrade.php and its data files now. (doesn't work on all servers.)

That sounds like waht Cicka was saying to do... I elected teh check box, but there is no accept, submit, or continue button to complete the function.

kat

Just goto the File Manager (Or FTP) and delete that file.

Advertisement: