News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Getting 404 error when accessing site

Started by Enforcer83, March 18, 2011, 07:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enforcer83

I am running SMF 2.0 RC3 on my site and recently started getting a 404 Error message.  As I have not visited the site in a several months I have been unaware that the forum was no longer working and cannot say how long this message has been displaying.  However, it was working shortly after RC4 had been released.  I have run a PHP test script to get information about my PHP and MySQL versions.  As it is a rather large image, generated using the window scrolling function of SnagIt, I will post only if necessary.  Some information I can tell from the script is PHP is version 5.3.4 and MySQL is version 5.0.92, if I am reading everything correctly.  I have changed the redirect from the community to the root public folder so a default message pops up.  Forum location is http://community.starfleetintel.eu.  If anyone could help me I would be appreciative of the help.

Further note, would an upgrade be beneficial?  I would rather not have to upgrade do to mods I had running, Portals and features I had found useful regarding user accounts.  I would like to keep the members and posts intact if at all possible.

Illori

there are several security fixes between when RC3 and RC5 were released, by upgrading you will get those patches and may as well fix your issue.

kat

I'm getting a 500.

Best to ask your host what they've been up to. ;)

Enforcer83

Ok this is funny.  The Web installer is only allowing SMF1.1.13 to be installed, but it also tells me I can fresh install if I remove everything in the directory.  Will this removing everything in the directory delete any of the posts or the structure to the site? Or, is this information stored in the database?

Illori

please do not use the webinstall at this time it has issues use the normal upgrade methods Upgrading SMF

Enforcer83

Ok.  I tried to fresh install in a different location after botching and being unable to recover files from a failed transfer.  I am getting the same issue.  Now the host says there is a script malfunctioning but doesn't know where.  This error comes up whenever install.php is run.  Permissions are set properly.

kat

What errors are you getting?

Can you be as precise as possible, when answering that, please?

"Script malfunctioning" doesn't give us much to work with.

I'm beginning to wonder, here, if you have full ownership of the files on your site.

Enforcer83

Below is what I get from the Error log.  I am using cPanel X to manage the configuration of the site so if anyone is familiar with it and knows where I can get more info, I would appreciate the guidance.

[Mon Apr 04 00:02:01 2011] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] File does not exist: /home/inteleu/public_html/404.shtml
[Mon Apr 04 00:02:01 2011] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] File does not exist: /home/inteleu/public_html/favicon.ico
[Mon Apr 04 00:02:01 2011] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] File does not exist: /home/inteleu/public_html/404.shtml
[Mon Apr 04 00:02:01 2011] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] File does not exist: /home/inteleu/public_html/favicon.ico
[Mon Apr 04 00:02:00 2011] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] File does not exist: /home/inteleu/public_html/500.shtml
[Mon Apr 04 00:02:00 2011] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] SoftException in Application.cpp:256: File "/home/inteleu/public_html/starfleetintel/forum/install.php" is writeable by group

and this is what my browser displays

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, xxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxx dot xxx and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I have confirmed favicon.ico was uploaded.  Now that I look at the error log more, it looks like the problem is the server not the install.php file.

Illori

i would put in a support ticket with your host and ask them to look into the issue, it looks like an ownership issue.

LiroyvH

Looks like your install.php has a CHMOD of 777. Set it to 755 and try again.
The security policy of your host apparantly does not allow .php files to load to the public www with the 777 chmod. Which is quite alright :)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

kat

Just curious, though, Core baby...

Why would install.php even be there?

If it IS there, maybe simply deleting it would cure this?

LiroyvH

Quote from: K@ on April 04, 2011, 05:39:08 AM
Just curious, though, Core baby...

Why would install.php even be there?

If it IS there, maybe simply deleting it would cure this?

Because of:

Quote from: Enforcer83 on April 01, 2011, 03:36:27 PM
Ok.  I tried to fresh install in a different location after botching and being unable to recover files from a failed transfer.

Next to that it shouldnt matter if install.php is there after installation has been completed. All it will do is display a huge red warning message on the forum (only to the administrator(s)) saying MAJOR SECURITY RISK regarding install.php being there etc. etc. :P

kat

Ah, yeah.

That's logical.

Which is probably why I missed it. ;)

Enforcer83

CoreISP,

Thanks man.  That was problem.

CHMOD'ed all files and directories specified for 777 to 755 and it installed.

Now I need to get a little database support to transfer over the members, membergroups, categories, and topics tables from the old database to the new one and I will be good to go, but I will start a new thread for that one.

LiroyvH

No problem, glad it was sorted :)
Strange your host did not know about the chmod issue though, they can see the error log just like you can and it clearly indicates a rights problem.

Advertisement: