News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Empty Mod Packages

Started by PenelopeQ, March 18, 2011, 10:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenelopeQ

Sidenote: K@: I got my FTP connection going--the passwords had not synched yet.

I just upgraded from RC3 to RC5 and am trying to add mods. Some are working, most are just empty packages. Well, they are not empty on my harddrive, but when I select list in Browse Packages in admin--nothing. I extracted them in my packages directory on my harddrive and uploaded that extracted directory with my FTP. It showed up nice and neat in my admin as I expected.

K@ had mentioned there were some hacking issues going on the other day and this might be a consequence. So I decided to try and download something from the mod list today and test it.
It worked beautifully.
So I deleted one of the ones from the other day and redownloaded it to my harddrive. Same failing results.
So I decided to randomly try another I had downloaded the other day. It worked. HUH--there is no pattern!
So I decided to just test them all--all the rest failed--emoty packages.

I also tried downloading these by going to the SMF third party mod site through my admin panel--this time it would give me a message about the package being emtpty:
QuoteAlthough the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF.

Basically it's advice to solve the problem is what I'd already been doing. Dowload to PC, extract and upload extracted directory into packages folder. It shows up in my list, but fails to install because it still shows no files! But clealry some mods are working and I don't know if there is a pattern.

But here is a list of failed mods, followed by the list of the two that worked. (I made sure all were listed as working with RC5 and backed up first)

• Calling Your Twitter 2.0
  • SA_FBConnect_1.0+RC4_rev285
  • FBSharer_1.3_With_DBUninstall
  • Install+&+Uninstall+Mods+Quickly+1.3
  • RegisterAtPostView+v.1.1
  • +prettyurls-1-0RC5
  • Show+your+social+networks+2.5
Successfully Installed

• GoogleSearchyourSiteV2.0
    This was the one I just downloaded today to test
  • SocialBookmarksv2.0
    This one I downloaded yesterday morning or Wednesday afternoon with all the others that failed.

Is anyone else having this problem? Sometimes the failing/empty files will not allow me to delete them from packages-admin—but it worked a few times. But usually I have to remove them with my FTP instead.

Arantor

The pattern is that all the ones who have spaces in the filename have failed.

PenelopeQ

Really?

So is the solution to remove the spaces?

Arantor

Yes. Because the callback URL that's generated is based on a filename that has spaces in which won't ever match. Also + should be avoided for the same reason.

PenelopeQ

I just looked at a few and didn't see spaces in the names. Are they in the individual files after extraction?

Arantor

No... they're + signs which are silently converted into spaces and back again by some web servers...

kat

Quote from: PenelopeQ on March 18, 2011, 10:39:32 AMBasically it's advice to solve the problem is what I'd already been doing. Dowload to PC, extract and upload extracted directory into packages folder.

OOOPS!

You DON'T extract them.

Leave them archived. :)

PenelopeQ

Okay, so just delete the + signs so there are no spaces--not replacing with _ or anything?

Trying it now..

OMG...calling your twitter just worked! Thanks

Now to go learn more about it!

kat

Just remember to keep backing up, Penelope. ;)

PenelopeQ

Quote from: K@ on March 18, 2011, 12:05:12 PMYou DON'T extract them.

Leave them archived. :)
I hadn't been originally, but it was one of those things I was testing when things weren't working. I'll go back to uploading the zip

kat

Advertisement: