How to reorder items in a Select Box, with custom profile fields?

Started by Qub1, March 26, 2011, 07:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qub1

I have a select box that looks like this:
item1
item2
item3
etc...

So, I would like to know how to put for example item3 in the place of item1 and vice versa, so that it looks like this:
item3
item2
item1
etc...

The help box says this:
QuoteReordering Options: You can reorder the options by moving text around between the boxes. However - an important note - you must make sure you do not change the text when reordering options as otherwise user data will be lost.

But I don't really get it, what do you mean by "moving text around between the boxes", because when I try to drag the text it just copies it into the other box, nothing is moved.

Thanks in advance!

Chas Large

I've not used this much but when I have I've never changed anything after the initial set up and I think this is what it being referred to here. Suppose you set it up with:
Option 1
Option 2
Option 3
and then some time later decide to reverse or change the order. Yes you can drag the text from one box to another and it copies it, quite correctly it does not delete what's there. You then delete the old text so that the new replaces it, thus preserving the correct amount of text. In the dB the options remain the same values it's just the selection order that's changed. If you retype the text and change it say like:
Option3
Option2
Option1
Then the old data will be lost. What members have selected before will appear incorrect. Dragging the text preserves it.
So the help pop-out is really referring to changing things after they have been in use not when initially setting things up.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Advertisement: