News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Require 'Birthday' in Registration Form

Started by Krillin, March 27, 2011, 04:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krillin

I cannot find a MOD which will allow me to do this. But I want to require registered users to supply their Birthdays. There isn't an option to require them to do so in Admin --> Features and Options --> Profile Fields.

I wanted to attempt to add a custom, but because the fields already exists I did not want to see it twice. But the 'Birthday' is not a selectable option to require on the Registration Form.

Any one know how to go about doing this? This is a bit of an advanced question, but I am not an avid user / admin.

We are running SMF 2.0 RC5 (upgraded from SMF 1.1.13). Forums are running 100% error free, MOD added: Password Meter Strength; notCaptcha_v1.06; EmailValidator and UpdatedRegAgreement. The later two had to be done manually.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Gaming Community Web Site
Forums Use: SMF 2.0.18
Mods Installed: (NONE)
Browser: Chrome

Ashley S

You may want to request this Modification - Mod Requests

If your lucky a Modification Developer may make you one for free ;).

CapadY

There is a MOD for it, but it's not approved.
This MOD will give you the option to add birthday, gender and location to the registration form.
Suitable for RC3 but I am pretty sure it will run with RC5 too in emulation mode.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Arantor

Out of interest, why would you want it be required on registration?

CapadY

I am using it as a very small piece of security.

I have a forum with young members, most from 12 y.o. but sometimes even 10 y.o. Most of them are girls. Just because these members are very vulnerable I want to know who is on the site.
To be able to protect them a very little, gender and DOB are required at registration. The members are not able to edit this after registration because this normaly never wil change.

Offcourse, people can make a fake account. But often you can detect those people by the way the write their posts.

Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Krillin

Quote from: Arantor on March 27, 2011, 08:20:15 AM
Out of interest, why would you want it be required on registration?
I do have an age restriction on my forums of 12. But I noticed all this did was put TWO buttons on the agreement page. Anyone can 'lie' about their age, as most do on sites like Myspace and Facebook. Out of the current registered users, 98% of them do not even put their birthday's in their profile. Come to think of it, they do not even fill out the rest of their profile.

Arantor

All you do is redefine the problem then, if they put their date of birth in as a lie there (which they likely will if they're there with malicious intent), you just have more inaccurate information on them, it doesn't actually solve the problem.

Krillin

Quote from: capady on March 27, 2011, 06:05:35 AM
There is a MOD for it, but it's not approved.
This MOD will give you the option to add birthday, gender and location to the registration form.
Suitable for RC3 but I am pretty sure it will run with RC5 too in emulation mode.
The only one I found only worked on RC4 and it did not have instructions on how to use on RC5. Even ones which do have instructions for RC5 are incorrect guides and do not work.

Krillin

Quote from: Arantor on March 27, 2011, 03:56:02 PM
All you do is redefine the problem then, if they put their date of birth in as a lie there (which they likely will if they're there with malicious intent), you just have more inaccurate information on them, it doesn't actually solve the problem.
None of the users who use my forum have malicious intent. You are straying away form the topic. If they are gonna lie about their age, then I deal with them as per the agreement. They falsify information on their account, they get deleted and banned (e-mail, ip scope) from registering again. End of story. (-:

Arantor

Oh, sorry, was confusing your reply with someone else earlier in the topic.

Advertisement: