News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to fix a catbg, catbg2 and titlebg error?

Started by C4G-TK, March 27, 2011, 07:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C4G-TK

I seem to be more used to these in the SMF 1 series where each hat its own image in the theme, but in SMF2.0, I'm not sure where I should be looking.

I just installed a clean copy of SMFRC5 and the Route66 theme.  I'm getting a couple visual problems inside of Simple Portal only (which is the only mod I have installed)  Is the default image showing because something is missing somewhere or because something needs to be edited in the SP files?

Attached some examples.  You can see in the third picture there are no errors on the bars like the other two images.

-img removed-

Arantor

This is a SimplePortal bug, due to the portal.css file not being copied to the right theme, I believe.

C4G-TK

I installed the theme by replacing the Curve files with the new Route66 files that are altered.  I only do this to save space on my server and in order to make sure all files are in one theme folder.  (So, when installing mods, it looks in one place and I can hopefully be assured that all edits were done instead of having to re-edit multiple index.template.php files, etc etc.)

The portal.css file is in the folder where it should be.

Do I need to edit that file to make things appear correctly?

-img removed-

Arantor

I have absolutely no idea at this point, the files are now in a thoroughly inconsistent state and I have no idea how to fix it other than to rip it out and replace it with properly segregated fresh files.

C4G-TK

It was my belief that if a file isn't in the "new" theme, it pulls from the default theme.  This is why when installing themes, you don't have all the template files and such that you do in the default.  I've done this with other themes previously and haven't had any mishaps. 

(The same visual error in SP appeared when I first tested the theme out and had it installed in separate theme folders, too.)

-img removed-

Arantor

Theoretically, yes, but practically it's a little more complex than that, especially since properly written mods can install on to other themes, and really well written mods don't make any template edits anyway.

As for the visual error, yes, it's an SP bug, and the fix is to copy the portal.css into the other theme, but since I have absolutely no idea what state your files in, I have no better suggestion for you.

C4G-TK

I went ahead and uploaded fresh theme files and installed the theme again and then installed the SP mod.  It still looks the same as those pictures when viewing the route66 theme even with two separate theme folders (like before).

This is why I usually copy the theme files into the default theme.  (My other forums haven't had problems with doing this, but my other SMF versions are RC4, too.)

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=347195.msg2350121#msg2350121

QuoteThese theme zips may be installed as stand alone themes, or the files from them may be copied into the default theme folders.

It isn't like I arbitrarily do things like this.  I have done it without problems over the past year.  And, since the error happened regardless of there being two theme folders or not, I merged the two folders into one.

-img removed-

Arantor

And did you perform the copy of portal.css as normally required to work around the SP bug?

C4G-TK

Edited previous post while you were replying.

I uploaded into the files that were to go into the default theme folder into the route66 folder as well.

-img removed-

Arantor

*shrug* I'm all out of ideas, you should probably ask the SP folks on simpleportal.net...

C4G-TK

-img removed-

busterone

I have that theme working correctly on RC5 with SP installed.
Just to verify, this may be what you did, but I was unsure of exactly what you have done.
You may need to first uninstall SP, then delete all the files in the default theme folder, then uploaded a fresh copy of the default curve to the right directory, and then install the route66 theme in a separate folder as done normally, reinstall SP, also copying the portal css file to route66's css folder.

C4G-TK

Went to sleep.  Woke up. (Always a good thing.)
Went into admin - maintenance - and cleared cache.  You know what I'm going to say next, right?

It looks fine.  I didn't do this previously because when I switched out my logo all I had to do was hit refresh and it appeared.

It's raining.  I may go back to sleep.

Thanks for your replies.

-img removed-

busterone

Great. I must have assumed you had said that you had already tried that. 
Glad it is sorted.   :)

Advertisement: