News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Drupal 7 and SMF 2.x - any bridge?

Started by sdsi, March 30, 2011, 04:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdsi

Hi,

Do you know any bridge module for Drupal 7 and SMF 2.x?

Please - let me know your opinion,

Thanks,

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

sdsi

Thanks.

Maybe it is easy to modify old "smfforum" bridge files - http://drupal.org/project/smfforum

What do you think about it?

Kindred

Since that is not an official bridge (form SMF's point of view) I have not even looked at it
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

That ultimately leads to http://vgb.org.ru/download to get the package...

But perhaps you should, it's in violation of the licence. (On multiple counts, specifically that it's redistributing a modified form of the SMF API file which wasn't BSD until sometime after 1.1.6 - the file lists itself as 1.1.4 and does not include any mention of the BSD licence; they're distributing the SMF licence document with it; the subs file mentioned has a decent chunk of $smcFunc included in it which looks at first glance as if it's a literal copy/paste job from 2.0's Load.php where it declares the string functions)

Kindred

Well, the author of that bridge has specific permission to use/distribute the modified API file (he requested it and was granted because the API was always supposed to be BSD)

not sure about the inclusion of SMF code though....
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

QuoteWell, the author of that bridge has specific permission to use/distribute the modified API file (he requested it and was granted because the API was always supposed to be BSD)

Then the file should actually indicate that to be the case. Right now it states the file is under the SMF licence, and should have the BSD headers as the master one does.

Quotenot sure about the inclusion of SMF code though....

Take a look at the subs file. It's not *masses* of SMF code that's been duplicated, but it looks like it's been directly copied (though indentation might be fixed up), and it is a non trivial part of SMF (since it is the string functions in $smcFunc) - I'd argue that enough has been copied that it's questionable.

sdsi

So - there is not hope to prepare the mod like this; isn't it? :(

SMF is very popular script and Drupal CMS is very popular script, hmm...

Kindred

personally, I can't stand drupal...   their content is marked up and buried within 6-10 levels of div.

However, it is moderately popular and there will, eventually, be an official bridge for it. Just not "real soon"
Слaва
Украинi

sdsi

Quote from: Kindred on March 30, 2011, 11:09:34 AM
However, it is moderately popular and there will, eventually, be an official bridge for it. Just not "real soon"

this year? :) please... I can donate it

Kindred

it's not a matter of donations...   it's a matter of taking one (or more) of the developers off of the core product and putting them on bridges.

I'd rather have them chunking out 2.0 final...
Additionally, since this is a volunteer project, that dev would have to WANT to do the bridge(s)
Слaва
Украинi

sdsi

I think it is work for only short time for profesional dev to prepare "bridge mod" like this.

But - ok. I understand.

Good luck and thanks for your time :)

tempster

I'm looking forward to an official drupal bridge from SMF.  I would point out that Drupal Commons and the Acquia Drupal distributions are still using Drupal 6.  There is also "word" that the forum feature in Drupal Commons (called organic forums) is now officially listed as abandoned, meaning that SMF could potentially have an opportunity to tap into the drupal customer base with a Drupal Bridge.  The best Drupal can currently do with forums is with a module called Advanced Forum.

See an install of Drupal Commons at http://commons.acquia.com

ms_ukyankee

Likewise, I'm running Drupal with SMF 1.x on two big board sites, I can't make any major upgrades with the existing Drupal module's limited support/updates/bugfixes. 347 sites report using this module, plus x? unreported. I rolled my own D6 module to map the Drupal roles and SMF membergroups.
SMF since 2004 <3

iGhost

I'll add my voice here - Another website owner stuck with Drupal 6 and a somewhat limited bridge which doesn't look like it's going to be updated very soon.

SMF is far superior to Drupal's integrated forum engine. Given the lack of bridges for D7, I'd expect such a bridge with SMF 2.0 to actually be quite popular. Especially now that final is out.

Well, that's my two cents.

tempster

in anticipation of an official bridge, where would be a good place to install smf now, in relation to the drupal installation?  For example, should smf be somewhere under Drupal's "sites" directory?

stefann

Kindred, is there any update on when a SMF 2 to Drupal 7 bridge may be available?

I'm another person that requires Drupal syncronisation to access out CRM (www.civicrm.org) so have little choice about an alternative for our charity :(

Unfortunately with other projects, I do not have the time nor Drupal experience to attempt this myself
full time lurker on freenode #smf

becometa

Quote from: stefann on November 15, 2011, 05:46:40 AM
Kindred, is there any update on when a SMF 2 to Drupal 7 bridge may be available?

I'm another person that requires Drupal syncronisation to access out CRM (www.civicrm.org) so have little choice about an alternative for our charity :(

Unfortunately with other projects, I do not have the time nor Drupal experience to attempt this myself

refresh. I'm getting desperate..  I would not switch from smf to phpbb(phpbb has unofficial drupal bridge), but if anything on this issue will not change, I will be forced to do so..
SMF's is a great forum software, version 2.0.2 was released more than 5 months ago and there's so progress about this? Dern!

Kindred

well, it seems that none of our current developers are really interested in it....   

If you really are interested, remember, SMF is now BSD licensed. You can find any developer out there who is interested and have them make the bridge yourself.... especially with all of the hooks in 2.0.x and the API developed by Andre.
Слaва
Украинi

stefann

As linked earlier, and although it's not an official bridge, this largely does what it says on the can http://drupal.org/project/smfforum but is unmaintained and does not publish anything about SMF 2.0 and Drupal 7

However, I've somehow found a 7.x-1.x-dev version which seems to have disappeared from that page, the link http://drupal.org/files/smfforum.zip still works, and I've tested on SMF 2.0.2 and Drupal 7.12

As the community I need this for has fairly specific needs, I'm actually still going to rewrite a simple hack for this, so am happy to provide some skeleton code under a less restrictive license, if there's someone that wants to turn this in to a proper bridge to Drupal 7 and/or CiviCRM 4
full time lurker on freenode #smf

Advertisement: